Sunday, April 18, 2010

SNAKES OR MICE

Oh, Rosey. I thought you were a nature lover. Non venomous snakes are our friends. At the last house my quilt/guest room was in an out building and the mice were wreaking havoc. They love quilt batting. They were shredding it and, uh, eliminating and reproducing in it. Al built the building (16'x16') and must have left something open or which shrank allowing the little devils in. Mouse skeletons are cartilage rather than bone so they can make themselves almost 2 dimensional. (Outstanding biological adaptation to environment). I had a house guest vacate the building in the middle of the night and I was chagrined to find her on the living room sofa in the morning. Mice were running over her in the night. I set traps in the fabric closet and as far as I could reach into the little attic and then had to remove decomposing bodies to stop the stink. Still they persisted. Then the simple solution appeared.

A large (4-5' long) black snake was making his way up a down spout appeared one day. I almost ran out there to kiss him/her. The mouse problem was no more! This became an annual event and after several years I spotted two of them making their way to whatever opening they had found. I guess he brought a bride to his home. I never ever had rodents in the building again. I guess they continued to come in and were consumed almost immediately. No more mouse shredding batting, toilet paper and expensive fabric not to mention droppings. I don't know when or how snakes deal with their elimination needs. I've been told they prefer to use the outdoors. No more stink, no more house guests running into the night to get away from the pesky devils. Snakes are shy and absolutely quiet...most discreet. Because so many people are phobic about snakes I never told anyone about my mouser. The snake probably was in your basement because his dinner was in there.

How do you like this topic? Is it better than nasal flush?

Jane

PS to everyone if anyone is reading this. As far as I know there are no snakes residing in my current house so it's safe to visit if you can put up with a bit of dog hair.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home