Friday, April 16, 2010

ZOOLOGY 1 & WORMS

Ah yes, I remember zo 1 at U MI back in '54. As I recall there are a lot of worms that are hermaphrodites (I admit to having to look up the correct spelling as I write) to wit: individuals are blessed with both male and female organs. I thought earth worms were among them. They line up side by side, head to toe and do their thing with each having been fertilized and ultimately producing offspring. It's an incredibly efficient arrangement. Now you know more about worms than you wanted to. I'm sure the gardeners among us understand how this works in many plants.

A few years ago I was about to get into my car that was parked near an empty lot outside my favorite potter's shop. This was in Dillsboro, a really neat little town nearby full of talented craftsman establishments and a tourist magnet. I heard some frantic duck quacks and looking up I spied a mallard hen (is that what a female duck is?) running as if from a knife wielding rapist. Hot on her trail came a very handsome mallard drake. He finally managed to mount her and a small number of passersby including me watched the proceedings in fascination. I'd never known how birds "do it" That drake once mounted was hung like a bull. I was stunned. She continued to complain but the drake's mission was completed whereupon they went their separate ways. His equipment receded as he waddled away. His back was visible to me but I suspect he had a duck smile on his face. I felt somewhat privileged to have witnessed that bit of nature.

I can't think of anything worthy of following the foregoing information so I'll bid everyone a good day, especially Bee.

Jane

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home