Saturday, October 27, 2012

Spring morning in N.Z.

 The day started so well today that I couldn't resist taking photos of the garden.  It was sunny and warm and there was no wind... It didn't last, but it made for a good start to my day !   This is the first time that I have tried to post more than one photo at a time, it was quite simple but took longer than I had anticipated.  Even as I wrote that I realized how I now expect everything to happen instantly !  It's not that long since we had to (a) finish the film (which could take weeks or months ! (b) find a chemist on an infrequent trip to town and (c) return to collect the photos anything up to a week later !  By the time my parents got photos of our new babies they were practically walking.  Now photos of new borns are flashed around the world as soon as they are delivered..

 I seem to have no control over where this typing is going.  Obviously, I still have lots to learn..

Thank you Rosey for forwarding on the previous post. So good to hear from the birthday girl. I hit 73 myself a few weeks ago.  Hard to believe . Neither of my parents reached 70 and it didn't seem that they died young at the time...

Our friends who recently lost their dog Gemma, visited this morning.  They got very upset when they saw Holly looking so excited and rushing around looking for her playmate.  They will get another dog but it won't be a Beagle !  Any suggestions for a placid, trainable, small dog who would enjoy  having a Beagle as a play- mate ?    I have just deleted a paragraph and along with it went the photos so I think I will finish here before the rest of them disappear.   !!!    Time for an end of day glass of wine I think...Care to join me ?
  

7 Comments:

At October 27, 2012 at 3:27 PM , Blogger RoseyP said...

Marion, I don't know what placid is with Australian Shepherds but they sure are a wonderful breed of dog. Whatever breed, puppies aren't known to do placid well...but maybe others here can suggest a few...labs, perhaps, placid, not sure.

What are the plants with the tiny white flowers? It's nice to see green. We still have green tinged with yellow ochre and a tint of raw sienna...I'm not showing off I'm just trying to impress myself that I can remember the colour names of my oil paints from fifty years or more ago.
Rosey

 
At October 27, 2012 at 5:59 PM , Blogger Bee said...

Marion,not too many small dogs are placid ,beagles are one but I personally suggest a lab, they are one of the nicest dogs in the world.I don't think we have Aussie shepherds here,I have never seen one. Do not get a Red Setter then an English or a Gordon Setter, we had an English, not a brain in his head.Most small dogs are either terrier background or somewhat lap dogs( all my dogs are lap dogs given half a chance)and Terriers DIG. Bee.

 
At October 27, 2012 at 6:06 PM , Blogger Lavinia said...

The little flowers look like Lily of the Valley at a distance, but I haven't seen any for years. Terriers are high energy so it's been hard moving to Arizona and her having no place to get out and run..once in a while we make it down to a park. Glad your Spring is springing, LOL. Lavinia

 
At October 28, 2012 at 12:19 AM , Blogger Marion in NZ. said...

Lavinia, you are quite right ! It is Lily of the Valley. A great favoutire of mine . The scent is beautiful and the flowers so delicate. They like a damp spot and they increase every year, which is what we like !

We (and our friends) have peviously had Labradors. They are lovely dogs, loyal and friendly, when our last one died we decided to get a smaller dog. Without any collaboration, our neighbours, who had also previously had Labs., thought the same, and we both ended up with a Beagle ! Three weeks between their ages and good friends from day one. It has been very convenient , we had theirs to stay, if they were away, and they had ours. They are now wondering what to replace Gemma with.

 
At October 28, 2012 at 1:25 PM , Blogger Doris W. in TN said...

Marion - Have your friends considered getting a Shih Tzu? They are small (average 12-15 lbs for a male), ours was placid and extremely intelligent and trainable. He also enjoyed the occasional good romp. We always laughted at him trying to chase and carry a soccer ball, because it was larger that he was.
They are quite sturdy little dogs, physically, but do need their coats trimmed up every 4 to 6 weeks and regular baths.

 
At October 28, 2012 at 3:11 PM , Blogger Marion in NZ. said...

Uuuuum that's a thought Doris. I don't think they have considered a Shih Tzu but a personal recommendation goes a long way ! THank you.

 
At October 28, 2012 at 7:38 PM , Blogger Sara in Florida said...

Love the garden! So glad that Spring is somewhere. A neighbor 2 doors down has a male Shih Tzu. He is the only dog my two terrible terriors like, and get along with. Mine are Yorkie mixes, cute, loyal, but not good with other dogs while on leash. Off leash they are great! If you have an animal shelter I would suggest going there first, unless, like here they have an over abundance of Pit Bull mixes. Our last few dogs have been rescues, and well worth the effort. But, if you want a puppy, do research first.
Sara in Fla.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home