Sunday, October 21, 2012

It really is fall



The fall colors have finally come to western Idaho.  After a summer of unrelenting heat without any rain, we have begun to have freezing weather at night.  The trees and shrubs are responding in a lovely manner, from the pale yellows and pinks of the deciduous azalea to the red of the blaze maple and the bronze/yellow of the ash tree in the back yard.  Although we don't usually have the riot of color that's common in the eastern part of the country, this year is proving to be one of the nicest we've had in a while.  DH was in the backcountry last week and said that the aspens were spectacular.

Rosey, your description of the lovebirds is probably the main reason that I'd choose NOT to run a B&B.  Bad enough that you have a lady dog being interested, I can't imagine what our two big males would do!  They are inveterate crotch sniffers.

We are planning our assault on the forest for our winter load of firewood next week.  This week had been the plan, but the weatherman has decreed that we will have rain all week.  Next week should be warmer and drier.  I think this will probably be the last year that I actually go out and help with the wood getting.  Hopefully saner heads will prevail next year and we can have a load delivered instead of hauling it ourselves.

Today will be devoted to cleaning up the yard in preparation for the rains.  The tomatoes keep on bearing, but this will be the last of them.  We will empty the fountains, take up the patio furniture and move the barbeque closer to the back door.  Then I will sit inside and quilt...and quilt...and quilt.

Kathi

2 Comments:

At October 21, 2012 at 10:52 AM , Blogger RoseyP said...

Kathi, only those with dogs tall enough to reach would understand the term 'butt-sniffer'. Meg, my new pup, 5 mos. old now, is a champion butt-sniffer. Don't bend over with her in the vicinity. It's their way of checking you out...one living being to another.

I enjoy preparing for winter really...I feel like a squirrel gathering nuts (I don't have to be a squirrel to do this...lol). Winter I get more quilting done and I look forward to hunkering down in my studio with a quieter life.

And yes, I agree with you...it's one of the realities of a B&B at times, not often but it happens. I've also had to wash the big duvet on the kingsized guest bed for the same reason two days in a row last week. God only knows what these two were up to but it doesn't take a dog any stretch of the imagination to figure it out.
Rosey

 
At October 23, 2012 at 9:54 AM , Blogger Doris W. in TN said...

What beautiful trees, Kathi. I love fall color.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home