Sunday, October 21, 2012

More of country living

I think of how blessed we are that I had an unfortunate reaction to anesthetics in 1985 and that I became so toxic afterward that we had to move from the city to the country.  I'd always longed to live on a farm as a child growing up in the city and on reflection, I'm grateful to have had my growing up life in the city but now, the country, for the past twenty-four years has been our home and we're getting to the age where living as we have, sustaining ourselves with himself being able to cut the long logs that are delivered each year for heating the house (although we have an electric furnace which is hardly ever used)...is perhaps on a time line.  I'm grateful now to have each day to live here and enjoy what we may not always have because of age and physical limitations.  Himself does one tank of gas with his chain saw every day and slowly makes his way through two puptrailer loads of logs each year.  He is getting more tired and more sore than last year but he's managing and it's healthy for him physically and mentally.

I hear people say to me, I'd love to own a bed & breakfast in the country, it looks like so much fun.  They have this romantic idea of what running a B&B would be like.  I hate to disallusion them so I tell them, yes, it's a lot of fun.  However, this morning before feeding two lovely guests, Annie the 1 1/2 yr old Aussie, stole a chunk of butter out of my guest butter dish and is now barking furiously that she has to go outside.  No doubt, butter-tummy.  And yesterday, after having two week-ends of 50 yr. old lovebirds who had met on the internet and used our guest bedrooms to 'get acquainted,' Annie picked up scents of well, you can imagine...and marked her scent on top of theirs.  That meant whipping off the quilt in the guest bedroom which I'd by now quickly figured out what she was doing, raced upstairs, caught the puddle of piddle before it leaked through to the blanket, hastily washed the quilt, took it in to the commercial dryer in town and back on the bed before the guests returned last night.  The reality is that running a bed and breakfast is not romantic at all...for me.  I'm hoping the lovebirds will take a break and we won't see them for awhile nice as they were.

Rosey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home