Wednesday, October 24, 2012

uuuuummmm....

Having been unable to "post" for the last couple of days I thought I would try again tonight, in the hope that the simpler system had returned.  Oh no !  Yet another page to find my way through ! This time not quite as confusing but certainly different.  Wonder what's gong on ?   Maybe Eric has washed his hands of us and we've been handed over to Google  ?  For the ladies who are still failing to get through , keep trying !  The system seems to change daily.

Thanks for the lovely photos.  They do brighten up the page and transport us to other places.  Bee, you certainly hit on a good idea, threatening to use the "funeral money "  !!  That would catch the attention of family members and make them spring into action !  Hope your garden recovers.  My DH "helped" me in the garden a few years ago and it has taken awhile for some of the shrubs to recover.  His idea of "trimming" is to do it a few inches from the ground. I think it's a cunning plot to prevent me from asking for his help.  If he can't get the tractor in, or use the chain saw, he really isn't interested   !!

Rosey, the w/end happenings at your Band B left me gasping for air !

Two nasty after-shocks in Christchurch yesterday. That's disappointing, it has been quiet lately and we were beginning to think the quakes were over..  This afternoon we visited our friends who live in an already damaged house.  Each after-shock sees the cracks widen and more floor tiles broken.  There are many in that situation and it will be months or years before they get around to fix or demolish these homes.  We were diverted, several times, on the way to visit them, due to extensive road works replacing sewerage pipes and water mains, what a big job..

Marion .

4 Comments:

At October 24, 2012 at 2:50 AM , Blogger Bee said...

It will also be a while before my garden recovers, there is not a leaf on some shrubs, so much for asking for them to be cut to about half their size. A 12ft rhodo has now only three leaves and they are near the ground. So sorry about the new quakes, so scary. Bee.

 
At October 24, 2012 at 2:12 PM , Blogger RoseyP said...

Marion, I'm sorry too to hear about the aftershocks. I honestly don't know how you manage to live with the stress of wondering if the ground is going to shake or not but I'd think living in the country has to give you the best chance of dealing with something like that.

And yes, running a B&B people often think of as a romantic thing to do...I'll move to the country and open a B&B...or, I have this extra room over the garage, I am thinking of opening a B&B. I think that I should write a book about it after 20 years in the 'business', for business it is not. It's a choice....a choice for some personal reason for doing it. Running a B&B can be and is intrusive into your personal space and life. I started it as a lark because someone in church asked if I'd be interested in doing it. Then after a few years, when himself retired and didn't want to see the inside of an airport again (having been a pilot for 30 yrs.) I got serious about it and it is a business to me. 99% of my guests are wonderful, 1% I could do without and even the lovebirds I wouldn't count as the 1%, they were thoughtful guests but ....I think they might have better chosen a more commercial venue for their lovemaking. The bedroom doors are now kept closed to Miss Annie who has been intent on leaving her mark.
Rosey

 
At October 24, 2012 at 3:32 PM , Blogger Marion in NZ. said...

Rosey, we had a "rush of blood" to the head a few years ago, and thought that we might join a B and B rural home-hosting scheme. At the end of the application form it said to list any category of guest which we wouldn't like to host... People with children, animals, non English speaking etc etc. Our list got so long that we realized this probably wasn't for us !!

 
At October 24, 2012 at 4:11 PM , Blogger RoseyP said...

Marion, if I'd had any idea of what I was getting myself into, I wouldn't have done it either...except...I've been used to working part-time most of my life, I had a very busy life in the city when I moved up here in poor health and I realized, living in the country with a husband who traveled more than half the month, I needed something to do. It's something that has evolved over the years and it does bring stimulation into my life, plus for the most part, I enjoy people and I can manage most of them but the ones that have poor boundaries or are inconsiderate, in general, just not of me, I find challenging and that's when I think...I don't need to be running a Bed&Breakfast. It's a good thing you were given those choices and had a chance to really think about what you were committing yourselves to.
Rosey

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home