Friday, March 19, 2010

TOILETS & STUFF

That title is probably a bit off puting.

I’m a bit late coming to the topic of plumbing fixtures but the comments grabbed my attention. When I left FL almost 18 years ago the law regarding handicap bathrooms were relentlessly enforced. Tall toilets, grab bars and all. Not so in NC. If a place even has a designated handicap stall at least half the time there is what I consider and kindergarten size toilet. In the little mom and pop locally owned restaurants there is often a complete lack of grab bars as well. I’m in much better shape than many of my contemporaries but when my center of gravity is below my knees there is a serious problem. One of these days I’m going to bring the toilet paper dispenser right off the wall using it to get far enough off the can that I can bring my quads into play. When I look around and the tragically enormous size of so many people down here I can’t figure out how they manage. I could blow the whistle on these establishments but they are often my favorites. I also think that in auditoriums, athletic stadiums etc they should have twice as many pots for the women as they do for the men for reasons that are quite obvious to anyone with the most cursory knowledge of the anatomy of both genders. By the way, both my bathrooms are equipped with toilets made for adults and grab bars. They don’t cost all that much.

Spent 3.5 days at a quilt retreat last weekend and speaking of enormous women, quilters are certainly a chubby bunch. I behaved fairly well in the dining room taking minimal meat and lots of nicely steamed veggies but the working rooms were full of M@Ms, tiny Hershey bars, cookies etc. and I managed to put on 2.4 pounds. It was like shutting up an alcoholic in a bar for 3.5 days and surrounding him with heavy drinkers and free booze.

I did make some serious progress on DD’s wedding quilt. I’m so bored with it. If I ever take on another king sized quilt again please give me a nudge and remind me how bored I got with this project. Since I got back between my usual errands, bone density test etc and preparing to meet with my tax guy and cleaning up an incredible pile of paper on my desk, I haven’t even set up the quilt project in the sewing room. That’s on the agenda for tomorrow.

So sad to read about the rough times in New Zeeland and Ontario. Grace, when my dad died eleven years after my mom I suddenly felt forlorn realizing that the previously unidentified fallback people in my life were gone. I told my brother several months later that I felt like an orphan without parents and he said he had exactly the same reaction. I never borrowed a cent from my folks and didn’t rely on them for anything but when it sank in on me that I never could it wiped me out. I think for the first time I realized that I was an adult and will have to rely on myself for the rest of my days.

Tenneh, (I’ve forgotten your real name, forgive me) your situation must be a rough adjustment. I’m not surprised it’s happened as it was obvious to all of us that your husband went into a major funk after losing the leg. Good luck with the custody/visitation issue.

By the way, spring has sprung I hope. Shirt sleeve weather today. I turned off the heat and opened the windows until after supper. Daffodils are emerging but not quite in bloom. I’ll hike some of my favorite wildflower spots this weekend with my increasingly gimpy Shadow and see what’s popping up in the woods.

Cell phones are being saved for a later date.
Jane in NC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home