Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Jack Frost arrived

Oh my Gosh, Winter is on its way! Felt cold last night in bed, time to put the wolly underlay on and to get this new quilt finished! When I pulled the curtain it was a solid white- that might spell the end of my garden! ( Hopefully slow down some of my bugs and beetles!). Will my sweetpeas survive the frost? And is it time to harvest the watermelons? This is the first year I have successfully grown watermelons and I have 2 on the vine!

There was no ice in the horse's trough though. This is a bit of a shock after all the lovely weather we've had. Maggie mare was not too impressed at having grass popsicles for breakfast, and was hanging about in the spot that was getting the early morning sun in her paddock. Still a glorious day promised! Time to start putting the heavier rug on at night for her.

Grace in Ont, my condonlences on the loss of your DM and family.

I was to have Court mediation for little DD today, but exDH has been not answering his phone so the Court appointed Lawyer for DD has been unable to arrange to have her meeting with him/her, so it has been postponed until that happens! So we wait...

Oh my goodness, have I been stiff and sore after my Mountain walk! It is an 18km route, but we walked in an extra 7 kms to the beginning of the track. Almost a mini-marathon! I have been like an old crone LOL! I am improving each day. The blisters have gone down- they never broke, but the back of the heels are tender- not sure I can get boots or shoes on if I had to attend the Court today anyway!

I don't have enough yellow fabric for all the stars in my scrap quilt- what a bother, I'll have to visit the quilt store in Rotorua when I head over for my course tomorrow! Oh the trials of life LOL!
I will enjoy spending tomorrow; fabric, present for DMIL bday and a small gift for little DD in addition to her bday dress.

How did I get a brand new house ?(I will confirm I am taking it tomorrow when I am over there, all going well). A lot of forestry has been converted back to dairying in NZ since there is so much money in dairy at present. Huge areas around Taupo are back in grass from pines. Pines really suck nutrient from the ground and leave it in poor condition. This block is a recent conversion, and the forestry company set it up from go to its final state, with view of selling the land in 5-10 years. So they estimated the farm, when running at full capicity in 10 years will support xxx number of cows and require 3 houses for manager and support staff. They built all 3 houses to final state, set farm up with equipment/cows/races/shares then walk away from it and it has to be self sustaining wages wise, fertilizer etc. At this stage the farm is struggling to support a mere 500 cows (and will for a few years) and only needs the managers and 1 workers house (a couple). The 3rd house is redundant for now, hence available for rent- but only to a respectful tennant! There has been massive dairy conversion around here- Taupo has not been in a building slump, There are several big blocks that have 4 brand new brick houses them. If you have a spare $5-10Million they would be good investments!

OK back to the study! Still got a bit to do. the workbook does not match the particular textbook edition I was given and there are substantial changes it seems, so I really have to read well to find the answers... my week off is more like a week at school. Still all over after the weekend. I shall sit on my back door step in the sunshine AFTER the frost goes off the lawn!
If I am a good girl and do a few hours I will reward myself with cutting more scraps.....
Blessings from Tenneh by the rivers

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At March 17, 2010 at 6:20 PM , Blogger Kathi in Idaho said...

Tenneh...not sure how badly your watermelons were frosted, but the way to tell if they are ready to pick is to look at the bottom. If it's turned almost white, and if the two little cirliques closest to the melon on the stem have dried, the melon should be good.

Kathi

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home