Thursday, October 29, 2009

YOU GO GIRLS AGAIN!!

Brenda take your time. Proper shoes can make a BIG difference. They are costly but can make all the difference in the world. We all have our preferences as to brand. My complaint about the sports shoe mfrs. is that as soon as I find a model with a last that suits me they have changed it when it's time to replace them. Shoes vary a lot. I wear mens' New Balance as they are wide enough to accommodate the prescribed orthotic I have to wear. While I'm still narrow in the heel I need considerable toe space. I envy those who can wear a shoe that fits both fore and aft. There is a bargain shoe place here called Shoe Show, a large chain, that sells all the pricey shoes at a considerable discount. I suspect most of them have been discontinued so this type store can sell them at a reduction. Even so I typically pay $50 for mine. However, that's the only kind of shoe I wear anywhere including the chamber music festival. I broke down and got some Mary Janes for DD's wedding. Just enough champaign allowed my to dance the evening away.

I have the munchy problem in the evening too. I don't know why as I never ate after dinner until the last few years. Rosey, skipping meals just creates the craves and low blood suger that makes us more inclined to over eat or eat the wrong stuff. Watch the fat and sugar content of everything you do eat and pick the highest fiber stuff like the whole wheat bread and bran cereal. Lots of fruit and veggies too. Often I make a huge tossed salad and add some kidney beans that have been marinated in fat free dressing for good healthy protien. I'll eat a soup bowl of it for several days til it's gone. I also buy ready cooked shelled shrimp frozen in a bag. I'll put some in a strainer under the faucet to thaw and throw that into a salad. You can eat your fill with impunity. Then there are veggie stir fries in olive oil (limited oil of course) with herbs and spices of your choice. Adding some chicken breast, shrimp or even some very lean beef can also make for a very tasty and satisfying meal. Al came up with a good idea on the evening munchies. After Al quit smoking and drinking simultaneously, for the first time since I knew him, he had a sweet tooth. He got the brain storm to floss and brush his teeth immediately after dinner which helped him control the urge to snack. I also came up with the idea of serving each of us a reasonable helping and putting the left overs right in the fridge so that when the urge for seconds hit the left overs were cold and in some cases, like stew, congealed. Hmm, think I'll reinstate both those tricks.

Rosey, I know that you have the problem of cooking for your guests and I realize you can't relegate them to these restrictions. I still have to work on portion control. I feel so much better, though, than I did when you last saw me. Of course I had that horrible cold and was crippled by the torn foot tendon and was in worse shape with regard to fitness than I'd been in years. Haven't had a cold since then and the surgery followed by rehab and subsequent orthotic have changed all that. On the days I don't walk I do weight work and the elliptical trainer (easier on the knees than treadmill) at the local county recreation center. Some days I just say the hell with it. However, not only does the exercise do us so much good including stronger bones, you get to feel virtuous all day afterward.

Anybody here have some meal or specific food ideas go ahead and post it. We're here to support each other.

Jane

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home