Tuesday, October 27, 2009

walking to lose weight

I've been reading articles that say 30 minutes of brisk walking, daily, will help improve bone density and reduce your risk of strokes and heart disease as well as more vigorous exercise would. The faster you walk, of course, the more calories you will burn. I can tell you that walking brsikly for 15 minutes with my students in the morning, and 30 minutes with my dogs in the afternoon, helped me drop a lot of weight 2 years ago, and has helped me keep it off. If it does not stop raining soon, however, I'll need to learn to row, because walking will be out of the question! :)
I've also been told that if you are strictly walking to lose weight, the sessions can be very short and spread out through the day, so that simply by adding steps to your normal routine, you can shed additional pounds. This does nothing for your heart and lungs, however. When I lost all my weight, I never left my classroom without going the "long" way to whatever my destination was. I need to get back to doing that again!
I am working very hard trying to clean and decorate, as my brother has been offered a job here in Huntsville. I expect that he and his wife will be staying here when they do their house hunting. I'll miss being able to play tourist in DC for free, but it'll be great to have one family member closer than 3 hours away.
I'm listening to lots of audio books now, using librivox.org. I've got Peter Pan and The Count of Monte Christo up next. I've also downloaded The Mystery of Ewin Drood by Dickens, but I'm not sure I'll listen to it. I understand he died before he finished it, and I HATE cliffhangers.
Laura in wet Alabama

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home