Saturday, September 20, 2014

From BedlamFarm/J.Katz

As you may be aware, I follow Jon Katz, never having heard of him until a few winters ago when a friend loaned me several books written by him on his border collies.  We tend to settle in during our long winters here, quilt, read books, live more quietly here in the country because we are retired and don't have to deal with the ratrace of life, jobs, raising children and so on.  These are called the 'golden years' and in many ways, intellectually and emotionally, I feel they are.  For instance, I don't have to say 'yes' any more to things I don't want to do but felt I should.  I can choose how I want to spend my day.  I'm grateful to have some modicum of health, of family, fractured as it may be, of friends, old friends whom I've known since my youth and two of whom I had tea with yesterday.  One is recovering from knee surgery, one has COPD, from smoking for many years but the longterm connection is one to treasure and thankfully, they live close by.  We don't live in each others pockets but we know we are there should we be needed.  We both live surrounded by meadows and when Jon posted this photo that he had taken, on his blog/website, I thought again of how quilters relate to colour.  The focus of tiny flowers and weeds, the blurred colourful background.  It spoke to me.  It may others who love colour as quilters all do.
Rosey, who woke up dreaming about mixing the three huge batches of organic bananas for banana bread this morning and the fruit flies that will attach themselves in clouds about them if I don't do something with them when I get dressed.  I wondered if mashed bananas will freeze.  I have guests coming in at noon, so will begin baking this morning.

3 Comments:

At September 21, 2014 at 2:55 AM , Blogger Laura in IA said...

Rosey, yes, freeze your mashed bananas for baking. I gave it a shot one time when I had nothing to lose. I do it all the time now with great success.

 
At September 21, 2014 at 6:29 AM , Blogger RoseyP said...

Laura, I wondered why the banana loaves felt like lead. I made up another batch last night and realized that I'd neglected to put in the sugar. I have a friend who is diabetic. I may see if he can manage to eat them otherwise, out in the garbage they go. Kathi also mentioned freezing the bananas, they turn dark but I think I'll do that from now on...the fruit flies are driving me 'bananas'...
Rosey

 
At September 21, 2014 at 3:57 PM , Blogger Marion in NZ. said...

My daughter told me about freezing over-ripe bananas years ago. They don't look pretty when you take them out, but they are fine for baking . They seem to over ripen so quickly in the hot weather and it's not always at a time when its convenient to bake, so it was good news for me !
Marion.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home