Monday, September 15, 2014

This & That

 
Most of our B&B guests arrive by car but occasionally some will arrive on foot, hiking the Bruce Trail through the Niagara Escarpment region here in Southern Ontario.  And then there are the very few, one of whom arrived this past week-end by their own aeroplane, parked it further south at the Brampton Flying club, rented a car and stayed two nights with us attending a 75th b-day event Saturday.  The pilot, retired AirCanada, his wife also has a pilot's licence as of last year figuring that in their 70's it might be a good idea to have a back-up.  And then there was the young couple who took the bus up to a town an hour south of us with their bike and proceeded to bicycle up to us with a toddler on the back and a babe in arms.  They were an amazing couple, now I believe they are living in Minnesota, last they contacted me.  Never did I expect, when I fell into this B&B 'business' which is between a paid hobby and a community service, really...don't ever go into the business expecting to make much money at it...food costing what it does, breakfast fruits in particular, plus your advertising (mine runs at least over $1,000.00 per year) and that is paid out before my season begins, not knowing what kind of a season I will have or how busy I'll be.  But it keeps me busy, gives me a good focus for later life and we meet some of the most interesting people....and then there are the 2% that sometimes I miss in the whole year that could cause me to close my doors.  Here's hoping I miss that 2 % this year, last year, three men were so rude to me, I could have cheerfully closed up the B&B.  But the next guests who arrived were so nice, it erases the aggravation of those few difficult and challenging guests.
Rosey

3 Comments:

At September 16, 2014 at 7:00 PM , Blogger Sara in Florida said...

Rosey-I just read your post and asked DH what he spends on advertising each year. With internet, mag. and TV he said $150,000! Wow, that's a lot. He says the younger people go to the internet first, those over 60 the phone book.
Sara in fla.

 
At September 16, 2014 at 8:51 PM , Blogger RoseyP said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At September 16, 2014 at 8:56 PM , Blogger RoseyP said...

I misspelled something in my comment and couldn't find a way to edit it, sometimes I can. Sara, your husband is right, people use the internet today like we used telephone books and other modes of advertising such as magazines.
My advertising budget is very modest compared to some B&B's but then my income is also very modest. But it goes out to two websites, domain names, web hosting, an ad in a tourism magazine, links on other sites that I have to pay for the exposure on their websites, etc. All of which I had not known about until I got into this B&B business. Your husband's expenses sound like a lot but he's obviously doing well with it.
Rosey

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home