Saturday, June 8, 2013

Tropical storm Andrea

Sara, sure hope you are high and dry after looking at Jacksonville on TV. Hope everyone else is okay as well, what with all the storms/tornadoes. Here we are dealing with summer  again (our 3rd summer here) and already the 111 degrees and so on.  Hoping to make it to Northern California and cool off for a few days sometime and see the redwood trees once again. I miss trees the most and the Great Smoky Mountains and the Blue Ridge. The desert is just not my cup of tea, but it looks like we will be here to the end. 

Here's a POLL for you: I'm going to a sew-in a couple weeks from now, they are either buying Jelly Rolls or cutting their own 2-1/2 inch strips to make small jelly roll quilts.  It's a "Blueberry Social", wear blue and bring something to eat that has blueberries in it.  The hostess is making chicken salad with blueberries for a starter.  Anyhow, I digress. I suddenly decided to make something red, white and blue, and I have plenty of red and blue leftovers (we have to cut 40 strips width of fabric) but not much white. What would you think about using ecru instead of white? (I have a lot more of that)...some has the patriotic things in it like stars and so on, but for some reason just doesn't "grab" me replacing the white.  (Yes, I know it's my quilt and my decision, but I'm getting old and to where I don't want to have to THINK, LOL).  Have hardly done any quilting in the last couple years, my heart is no longer into it altho it used to be almost an obsession.

Hope all are well and staying cool (or warm, whichever the case may be).

4 Comments:

At June 8, 2013 at 2:32 PM , Blogger Doris W. in TN said...

Lavinia, I think the natural ecru color will look fine. In fact, it is a softer look and it will look perfect.

If anyone says anything, just smile and say "you're probably right" and keep on sewing.

Betsy Ross most likely used white because she was out of plain ecru muslin and her nearly fabric store was closed, due to the war. ;o)

 
At June 8, 2013 at 4:19 PM , Blogger Lavinia said...

thanks, Doris. Love your dog, btw.

 
At June 8, 2013 at 4:32 PM , Blogger Bee said...

Lavina,I would use ecru,always think it is much softer and when you think in the old days quilters used calico a lot.Bee.

 
At June 11, 2013 at 3:26 AM , Blogger Lavinia said...

Thanks, Bee!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home