Friday, May 20, 2011

Gardening in Minnesota

As Sandi said, it is raining in Minnesota - but a nice gentle rain. I spent most of yesterday in the yard - those of you who have been to my house know that I spend many days in the yard. The lilacs are starting to bloom and I love the fragrance. In fact, I have a small embroidered piece in our bedroom that says "My favorite place in spring to be, is underneath the lilac tree." If they only bloomed for a day I would still have lilacs. The lamium and ajuga are also in full bloom and the various shades of green in my hostas are gorgeous next to the freshly mown lawn. The lamium and ajuga can both be rather invasive but are gorgeous when in bloom and I have patches of them in several of the beds in my yard. I haven't potted any annuals yet but have a good idea of what I want to do this year and plan to pick up some things by next week-end. Can you tell I love this time of year.

Against my better judgment I ventured back to the vegetable garden too. Gary took over the vege garden a few years ago. Here was his technique: 1) Erect a big fence. In fact three layers of fence - hog wire, lined with chicken wire inside, surrounded by decorative fencing on the outside. The weeds grow between the hog wire and the chicken wire and my tractor hits the decorative fencing on the outside. 2) Plant an instant garden--tomatoes plants, cuke plants, cabbage plants, squash plants, any-thing-else that comes in a pot. Actually everything that comes in a pot and many of each of those things in a pot. 3) Interplant everything else. Potatoes inside rows of corn, onions along the front of the tomato plants, etc. 4) Walk away and never return. Weeds? Apparently he thought his 3-layered fence would prevent them from growing. He was wrong. Did the fence defense work? The wild turkeys just flew over the top and ate each ear of corn as it ripened - our neighbor could see each stalk slightly bend as the turkeys nibbled their way down the lunch row. We have had "words" over his "technique" but this year we have come to an agreement. It is not tilled or planted yet but he has agreed to keep it small and manageable. I have agreed to take care of everything outside of the fence and he has agreed to take care of everything inside of the fence. If he weeds it I will mulch it. We shall see. I will give you a report. Joleen in MN

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home