Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Different Strokes etc.

Re: Super Bowl
I wouldn't spend that much time in front of a TV set to watch anything I can think of. I've never given a hoot about football but I used to love the big tennis tournaments and many Olympic events but have abandoned most of that because I can't tolerate watching more than half the time invested watching commercials. I do know, however, never to call anyone on such a high holy day. DH was so dedicated to sports that ESPN would be on all day Saturday during collegiate football season and Sunday for the pros. Then came basketball, and his great love, hockey. Having grown up in the Detroit area hockey was always watched on the CBC station from Windsor. As the sport began to spread throughout the states he often complained that US camera crews didn't understand the game and did a poor job of covering it. Things did improve. It saddens me that he didn't live to see his grandson play hockey. That's a great fast game and the players don't spend a lot of time standing around adjusting their jocks. I watched those games in Ann Arbor in my college days. A goodly portion of the players hardly spoke English as they were from Quebec and the others spoke with typical Canadian accents like Rosey. Also, in the mid fifties, the swimming team members were almost exclusively Australian.

Yesterday I broke down and paid $150 to have that #%^#$% Prius pulled out of the last patch of icy slush along side my drive way. It got to skidding on the ice almost a week ago and ended up close to a ditch. I haven't had transportation since then but trying to get it out while temps were well above freezing all I did was spin holes in the recently re graveled road which had lots of road bond. Now I have to hire the gravel guy to re grade that spot. There is another spot along the very steep winding drive where the high bank on one side has recently eroded badly exposing roots of large trees, one of which has a huge boulder behind it. It won't take much more wet stuff to topple those suckers across the drive so I will spend some more money I don't have to have those trees removed and the bank shored up. I won't even tell you how much it cost me to run that wonderful whole house propane fueled generator for the five days we had no power last week. Nobody told me what a fuel hog that thing is. Next time I'll just run it at night for refrigeration, light and the CPAP. I have a little gas log which takes very little gas and can warm the front half of the house to a fare thee well. If I had a grain of sense I'd move to a condo. I couldn't give this place away in the current market and I'd go nuts with the lack of privacy, having to confine my best friend if, indeed, I could have a dog, and the light pollution at night along with hearing the neighbor's tv on summer nights would drive me to violence.

I am getting acquainted with the Janome 6600. The Janome club meets Saturday, but, guess what the weather guessers are predicting. Nothing as simple as snow flurries. We are supposed to get the dreaded wintry mix between now and then. To get to the shop in Franklin I have to drive over a very high pass. I sure don't want to get stranded up there.

Please pass the cheese, I have plenty of whine. I keep reminding myself that I could be in Haiti.

Jane

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home