Monday, January 4, 2010

SCARING DOGS

Shadow is a very timid dog by temperament. Ultimately we found that taking the advice about picking the low ranking dog in the litter makes for a much more biddable dog was sound. However it took some doing to get her to feel confident in the company of other dogs and strangers.When she was just a bit more than 12 weeks old I was appointed chief house break trainer as Molly and Al went off to go hunting in the mid west. He'd fashioned a barrier confining her to the kitchen so that all accidents occurred on the vinyl floor when not under supervision. I'd put her in there with her crate and headed to the shower one morning. When I was preparing to step into or out of the shower, don't recall which, I heard doggie toe nail clicks far closer to the bedroom than to the kitchen. Emerging from the bedroom in my birthday suit to see what was up there was Shadow in the living room having climbed over the barrier. She took one look at me and screamed in terror at the sight of me in that unfamiliar condition. She ran for the kitchen, I lifted her over the barrier and she sped into the crate cowering in the very back of it. When I stopped laughing I approached slowly speaking to her in soothing tones, put my outstretched hand in the crate and as soon as she got a sniff she was immediately happy. I couldn't resist calling Al to give him the latest on his brave hearted future hunter. It was near Halloween and I suggested we start a business making a new Halloween costume to frighten all the children: The Naked Jane Outfit.

Jane in freezing mts of NC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home