Sunday, December 6, 2009

MORE ON WEATHER

I suppose with the title of this post everyone has gone back to sleep this cold and frosty morn in Dixie. As so often happens, happily in this case, the weather guessers were way off the mark. We had some barely noticeable snow while it was still warm enough for it to disappear as soon as it hit the ground and that was over by noon. Whereupon the sun came out. When I left for the dinner the road was dry as the temperature dropped. It's in the mid 20F (-3C) at the moment but no more precipitation. The dinner was beautiful but one of our number complained at the slow pace of the service. That's because it is done European style with breaks between the courses with entertainment. The Madrigal singers were wonderful as was the Jester and the Lord and Lady hosts on the small stage at head table. The complainer came close to spoiling it for me and I was amazed at her behavior. Normally she's game for anything and is a good friend. I finally responded as crudely as her complaints and asked her not to be such a grump. My dear friend of declining hearing Was, I think oblivious to everything social but enjoyed the music. I'm worried about her. She's missing so much and steadfastly refuses to see the audiologist. She is childless and is 80 years old. I know there is a niece in the area but it's a concern to several of us. One of our number has macular degeneration and travels to Toronto twice a year for some treatment not approved in the US. She still quilts but had to have the program read to her. It was in red print on pink paper. We all had a bit of trouble with that. Several members of the audience were dressed in Elizabethan outfits as well as the performers. All in all, though, it was a beautiful evening. My friend, the chair of the music dept. had called me yesterday to remind me that he'd borrowed a book from me months ago and wanted to return it to me. When I told him I was coming to the dinner but was concerned about the weather coming home if there was any moisture including black ice and he graciously offered to let me spend the night at his house so that was a relief but by the time I left here the sun was out so I didn't drag my CPAP with me.

Despite the cold temperature we are threatened with sunshine. It will be a good day for sewing in my sunny sewing room.

Jane

1 Comments:

At December 6, 2009 at 3:21 PM , Blogger Marion in NZ. said...

Well done Jane. So pleased that you were able to go. It sounds as if it was a great night out. Keep safe and take care.
Marion.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home