Monday, May 11, 2009

Mom

I was busy yesterday introducing my newest granddaughter to the world. DD#2 and "baby girl" are fine.

My mother and her mother influenced my quilting. And, as my recently departed DSis liked to say, "Fabric shopping (& fondling) is in our genes." Mom always sewed our clothes and was very creative in her use of patterns and fabric. I was always proud of how unique our clothes were. I fondly remember when she made skirts and jackets from the wool scraps from Pendleton clothing - many of the pieces were sometimes only 6 inches wide so the garments were designed with lots of box pleats or princess seaming. Mom died at 60 of breast cancer before she had a chance to quilt, so I vowed to start at a younger age with my quilting. Grandma started quilting at 65 and was quilting until her lost eyesight and death at 93. I just loved her scrappy nine patch quilts. Mom said she wished when Dad went out she had hired a sitter and joined him more often - advice I have always remembered.

Thanks Jane for helping us remember.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home