Monday, April 27, 2009

BACK HOME

I returned yesterday from a quick trip to Charlottesville, VA where I had two, too short days with DD and one DGS. Pete was on a college shopping trip and they'd been to Georgetown in DC, William&Mary (DD's alma mater) in Williamsburg, VA and finally, U VA in Charlottesville. He seemed turned off by the giant campuses in DC and Charlottesville but is very high on W&M. Good choice. DD found when she went to grad school at Cal. Berkley that her preparation was every bit as sound as the Ivy League and Stanford types she ran into there. Pete and I were both close to tears when we said good bye. I love those grands more and more as they grow up. Maybe it's because I'm much more conscious of my own mortality.

Quilt progress is slow but nonetheless expensive. I stopped in Wytheville, VA at Sew What Fabrics, Batiks ETC once going each way. The building is on the Historic Register and has killer stairs but is an incredible shop with and incredible staff. The owner, Carol Britt is seldom there as she is a very busy and wonderful teacher. Check out the web site at www.batiksetc.com . It'll take your breath away.

I suppose my fantasy about a retreat really ought to wait a year so I can clear the decks a bit. I am still inclined to hold it here. There are LOTS of things to see and do not the least of which is the national park, the Blue Ridge Parkway etc. On the other hand in Asheville there is a folk art museum on the Parkway on the east side of town in which the Southern Highlands Craft Guild exhibit and have a shop. Folks like the Churchill Weavers and Berea College of KY are part of it as are the best of the quilters, potters, leather workers etc. in the southeast. The drive to my neighborhood is no worse than the one from Ottowa to Grace's with some spectacular scenery. Retreat or no, any one of you who are ever in the area will always find my door open if you can pick your way through the collection of tennis balls in the yard.

Have an appointment with foot surgeon today necissitating another trip to Asheville. Tonight my guild is sponsoring a trunk show by Pat Knoechel, who is Eleanor Burns' sister and business partner. Guess I'll have to trek over to Franklin for that. I missed her the last time she was here.

Jane in Greening Up NC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home