Sunday, April 26, 2009

Just a quick note to let you know that I am still reading each day. Not much to report here.

Life is just busy... I had to dig out the serger the other day, to serge the seams on 8 pillowcases that I made for the local guild. They are to be donated to a local nursing home. I have not used the serger in so long THINGS got piled on top of it. When I waded thru them, I found the bag I was looking for, from Christmas. It was some things one of the guild gals gave me for Christmas. It contained bits of satins and laces and rice shaped pearl beads.I am making a crazy quilt type wall hanging with lace and beads, ribbon embroidery and charms or buttons. There is a photo in the center that I had transfered to fabric over 15 years ago. It used fabric glue and a photo copy of a picture. We covered the papeer with glue and plaed it on fabric. Smooth it outand let it dry. So we left it and used the teacher's already made photos, to take a sponge and wet it and rub the paper off the fabric and it left the photo behind on the fabric. The photo was of me and DH along with by brother, best man and a girlfriend of mine from school, that was my maid of honor and also my sister who was only 3 at the time. She is 41 now. I found it when I was going thru some books on crazy quilting and thought that I should do something with it. It certainly aged properly by now. I will post a photo when it is done or when I can get a chance to do it.

I made 12 blocks from the book by Bonnie Hunter, Scraps and Shirt-tails. She recycles old shirts from the thrift store and make scrap quilts. I love her methods. I started cutting up small scraps into zip-locks by size. 2 inch squares, 2 x 3 1/2 rectangles, 3 1/2 x 5, 2 x 6 1/2, and 3 1/2 x 9 1/2. These make a 9 1/2 inch block. I put them together and didn't rotate them. I don't care for the way the sides with the 3 1/2 x 9 1/2 inch are all together. I may just leave it and next time rotate them to make it more random.I have added zip-locks in difference sizes. There are 3 1/2 inch squares that are left over blocks, well, in my case I made them. Nine patches, strips or pinwheels... It is very interesting how she uses them to make full size quilts. So as I complete projects that have a small bit left over I will cut the larger sizes first and work my way to the small 2 inch or 1 1/2 inch squares. Then I will put them together to make scrappy quilts.

Well, back to the machine. I am working on the quilt top that my boss sent up from Florida, that was found in a thrift store. All hand pieced of apple green and bubble gum pink and only $2.00. I bought some fabric from Connecting Threads and I am putting some boarders on it and then piece the backing and quilting it.

Keep on quilting gals,

Donna, LEH, NJ

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home