Friday, January 8, 2016

t shirt question

Needing expert advice here.  a friend wants me to make a pillow for her husband from the husbands brothers t shirt.  The brother passed away a few months ago.  I have not sewn anything pillow like or quilt like from t-shirts, so not sure what should be done construction wise.  I have read where you iron on a light weight stabilizer to the shirt when making quilt blocks.  Would I do this with a pillow.  The  t-shirt has the coca cola logo and seems to be very sturdy material.  Some t-shirts are super stretchy, this does have some stretch but not a lot.   since this is a special t shirt for the family I don't want to "wing it" and mess it up.  Thanks
Pat in Flint

3 Comments:

At January 9, 2016 at 2:24 AM , Blogger Laura in IA said...

I use iron on stabilizer (woven and very lightweight)on the T-shirt quilts I make. I would do the same for a pillow just to give it body. I cut the stabilizer larger than I want the pillow to be, then cut it to the size plus seam allowance that you want the pillow to be. I'm sure there are those who might just stuff the t-shirt as is and call it a pillow. It would then be soft and squishy. Perhaps you should ask your friend their preference in that regard.

 
At January 10, 2016 at 8:16 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Laura. I did speak with Angie about what kind of end results she wants. She wants it sturdy but huggable!! They also have dogs who are allowed on the furniture. So I am going to go with your instruction of using a woven light weight fusible. I think I will try it on a small scrap first and see what it feels/looks like before I go and do the entire pillow. I will post a photo when it is done. Thanks for your input.

 
At January 11, 2016 at 1:13 PM , Blogger Laura in IA said...

Good idea to sample first Pat. I found that the lightest weight non woven (featherweight?) fusible was the most huggable and works equally well. I suggest a brand name product because some of the bargains I picked up did not adhere as well.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home