Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Pardon me while I vent

It is thundering outside, but sunny.  These hot days we almost always have a doozy of a thunderstorm, but it's usually about 2:00 to 4:00 PM.
Since most of us are "mature" I'll ask this question, and if there is a solution or not.  I have been asking my DD to have the grandsons send "Thank You" notes.  We and the "other" relatives spent big bucks on them flying them here and to Mexico during the summer months for vacations.  (otherwise we wouldn't see them)  That was June-July.  Then DD calls wants money for the boys schooling, sent $800, then needed another $800.  Whatever happened to good manners?  Has it gone the way of handwriting?
I said there would be not more quilts until I was thanked for the last ones.  Maybe shouldn't have said that, as I do enjoy quilting, but good grief!  My Mom taught me, I taught her, just because they are "busy" isn't a good reason not to express gratitude.  Is it because they are teen boys?  If you don't teach them, how do you expect them to learn?
OK, off my soap box.
Enjoying watching the humming bird(s) outside the kitchen window.
Rosey-  is that a current picture of your entrance, there are fallen leaves there, isn't it too early for that?  I hope my obit has something about my quilting in it.  (If we do move to Jacksonville Beach we will be very near to the guild I like, and can go to sit & sew on Fridays)
Finding the eye that had the cancer doesn't see well after dark, so don't want to risk the 25 mile drive each way from over here.  There is another guild closer, but it meets on Monday AM, and that just doesn't work for me.
Sara in hot, sticky Florida

5 Comments:

At August 20, 2014 at 6:37 PM , Blogger RoseyP said...

No, Sara, that photo was taken years ago in the late 70's, early 80's. We lived with tall oak trees, raking them up was a challenge. Oak leaves don't disintegrate into mulch over the winter months as well as other deciduous trees.
Rosey

 
At August 21, 2014 at 12:01 AM , Blogger Marion in NZ. said...

Sara...I have an interesting situation with our grandchildren. The ones who live at home always write thank-you notes, the ones at Boarding school don't ! I think it's only good manners and I know my daughter makes sure that the letters are written. I suppose you can't expect that from a Boarding school..

 
At August 21, 2014 at 6:59 AM , Blogger RoseyP said...

Sara, you are indeed dealing with a situation in which there appears to be some immaturity here and leaning on and expecting to be rescued financially still from a great distance. Hard when you have a grown kid like that, isn't it.

How about having one who, when you've bought a new bed for their first child, gave it away or sold it and replaced it with something else without discussing it with you...or who, when given a nice piece of pine furniture, disappeared it somehow, somewhere, out of the house. It's happened with one of my children in the past. I don't understand some kids...or grandkids....Rosey

 
At August 21, 2014 at 10:55 AM , Blogger Doris W. in TN said...

Sara - the lack of Thank You notes from younger people is a common complaint among our generation. Our son was raised to hand-write a thank you note for every gift and I had to see it, prior to mailing.

Now that he is an adult and "off the payroll", he thinks e-mail thank you notes are sufficient, even to family friends of my generation. I've told him that to my generation, email thanks are NOT sufficient, but that he can do what he wants with his friends.

I've done my part, so at this point the rest is up to him.

 
At August 23, 2014 at 4:49 AM , Blogger Laura in IA said...

It has happened in my family too Sara. One DD has been faithful about it and works with her 5 and 7 year old to continue. Other DD has been lax, but last Christmas I put Thank You notes in their packages, including the adults. I recall only her DH did not utilize his. The notes from the children were so delightful. They do have opinions and the skills to write a note of thanks. I have vented to DIL whose children are both under two(one newborn 8-18-14)but she was always conscientious and apologizes when she only has time for an email. DS has always been forth coming with the verbal thank yous and hugs and deep expressions of appreciation. Bless him. I just worry when I put an expensive quilt in the mail and never even hear if it arrived. I also worry that the grands will not learn to acknowledge the gifts even if they are less than thrilled. It's just good manners as everyone has said.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home