Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Technology ... can't live with it and can't live without it. Argh!

Rosey,  Hang in there with Win7.    I am grateful that I missed the Windows Vista generation of OS and knew enough about Win8 to avoid it, especially on a desktop system.   My rotator cuff would complain, loudly, if I had to reach across the desk to touch a screen all the time instead of a mouse.

I have a Gateway laptop that is probably twelve years old.  DH used it for several years and I forget why he stopped using it.  It probably couldn't keep up with what he needed for work.   Back in 2007,  I loaded my ME (machine embroidery) software on it and use the laptop in all the ME software classes at my Bernina dealer since then.

Last summer,   I got a Martha Pullen monograms software program for ME.  Loaded fine on my desktop and I got it activated via internet connection and manufacturer.  This poor  12 y/o Gateway laptop, however, no longer wants to be connected to the internet.   It simply refused and couldn't even keep Internet Explorer going.    Okay.  Old age and related disorders.  I totally get that. LOL or may I should say ... Waaahhhhh!

Software installation program told me (on my laptop screen)  there is a way to activate it without internet connection, though. I call the manufacturer and get some sort of "code."   So I called them and it took them two days to figure out where to find the code to give me.    Because, really, who does not have a computer anymore that has no internet access?!?   They were very nice and helpful, and I had to be patient with them since who actually owns and uses a 12+ y/o
 computer that can no longer access the internet?!?   LOL  

Anyway, we got it all sorted out and it worked beautifully in class.    I can not believe this little laptop is still going after 12 or more years.   Everything else we have owned always bit the dust, sooner or later.

Bad ice storm hitting Atlanta, GA right now.  Some of the storm is going to hit middle Tennessee so schools went ahead and canceled for the day, to avoid anticipated traffic problems.  We have dodged a lot of bullets with snow and ice, this winter.     I keep reminding myself that SPRING, or at worst, SUMMER  WILL COME   and this will all be nothing but a bad memory in 90 days.

1 Comments:

At February 12, 2014 at 8:22 PM , Blogger RoseyP said...

Doris, first of all, I wouldn't in a million years know how to install stuff on my computer to connect with my sewing machines...nor would I want to...my sewing machine and I have a very tenuous but respectful relationship. It's very basic and so am I. I envy your work. I use your embroidered bag every day I go shopping and it's always kept in my car, washed occasionally. It's much admired.

I am so far proud of myself for getting to the point where I'm able to do what I need to do on this computer and now that the tech figured out how to get my printer working with my computer, life is good. I still can't find how to put a new name into my address book though and have searched through all my headings. If anyone has any suggestions with Windows 7 and how to put a new email address into my list, please do so.

Oh, and I saw the horrible road conditions on the news tonight in Atlanta and Charlotte North Carolina. What in the world is happening to our weather patterns?
Rosey

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home