Sunday, February 9, 2014

@*)^&%)&)@$)*@()*)@

UTTER CHAOS, UTTER CONFUSION. As mentioned somewhere here, my Windows XP up and died and I had to have a new tower (computer)...Suggested Windows 7 has brought nothing but woes into my otherwise peaceful relationship with my computer. The tower is going back in to the shop to figure out why it's not working properly...I can't print off anything and the darned programme has more things on it that only serve to annoy me than facilitate me. Why don't they have programmes that work fast (windows 7...oh, it's so fast you'll not believe it, I was told...it does but it is so complicated that I could throw the darned thing out the studio window)....but are uncomplicated for luddites like me. Windows 8 I was warned against, believe me, Windows 7 is a pain in the pittooey. This winter, as Heather will attest to, has been a challenging one...an old fashioned winter complicated by a Dec. 22nd ice storm which has left sheets of thick ice beneath whatever snow has accumulated since. Therefore, snow blowers won't work in blowing snow out from areas that need blowing out. We paid $180 to have our long laneway freed of ice ruts after that storm but trying to get back and forth next door, a fair distance, is impossible. We resort to snow shoes now getting around on the snow. Having a case of cabin fever is a matter of mind over matter. Today, I will Force myself to clean up the floor space in my studio. Force is the right word because I have no idea where I'll put baskets of stuff...I feel that we are locked into a frozen wasteland and that winter is no longer beautiful. I was trying to have a good attitude towards it but it's failing me now. Rosey in southern Ontario, Canada

4 Comments:

At February 9, 2014 at 12:10 PM , Blogger heather said...

Oh yes Rosey.....southern Ontario has had such a harsh winter....ice storms for which I am grateful not to have had here in northwestern Ontario....it has been a brutal cold winter here with more snow than most can remember when plus the sub zero temps ! I always figure if I can get thru January I will be okay....this year I have to convince myself to get thru February! My oldest son who basically works out of Toronto 3-5 days a week has had many a day there wishing he was back home i.... Usually he brags to us how 'warm' southern Ont is compared to here.... Rosey I know exactly how u feel....when I was in Northern Manitoba I felt that winter weather isolation most of the time....probably why I escaped to home whenever I could !! At least Jean isn't mentioning her flowers being in bloom....I

 
At February 9, 2014 at 12:41 PM , Blogger Jean at Mill Bay said...

I have promised to keep quiet about the flowers and to send no pictures. Since we might actually get a snowfall today or tomorrow, I am not gloating about the fact that we have had one of the nicest winters in the last 100 years and that the snowdrops started blooming right after Christmas.

Rosey, I went from XP to Windows 7 and love it. Get them to set it up for 'traditional view' or whatever it is called and then most things will look familiar.

I tried to post a picture of the maple leaf quilt when the top was assembled but could not get a picture to post here. I will try again when the quilting is finished.

Jean

 
At February 9, 2014 at 2:45 PM , Blogger RoseyP said...

Jean, please give me the exact wording of what I need. I am ready to tear my hair out. The print is too small, I have new glasses and the world looks good again but truly, the print would be size 8 on my old computer. If you don't respond, I'll get you privately.
Heather, J & I have a pretty good attitude towards winter here in Southern Ontario but I can tell you he's been puffing on his inhaler because of the cold weather and my windproof, lined pants from Gudrun Sjoden in Sweden aren't cutting it for me this winter. I'm cold, cold, cold. It's nice to snuggle up to a warm doggy body on my daybed under a blanket. Toronto can be so damp/cold in winter compared to the dry cold you experience up north. Mind you, I can leave here (when I used to drive into the city) with heavy snow boots, heavy coat and look like I'm Nanook of the North in the city clomping around when people are wearing fashionable outfits and dress boots.
I appreciate no daffodils, Jean, I'm not ready for them yet.
Rosey

 
At February 11, 2014 at 7:17 PM , Blogger Doris W. in TN said...

Rosey - Microsoft is going to stop supporting XP this year (security updates, etc.) so I knew I was going to have to change OS anyway. My new computer is Windows 7 (no touch screen desktop for me and that Windows 8 nightmare). It took some getting used to, some frustrations, but for the most part I am adapting.

Honestly, I am more upset about the iOS7 on my new iPhone than Windows 7. I loved my old iPhone 4s, but it went terminally crazy, would not find a signal, and had to go.

I hate the iOS7... let me count the ways, starting with the Calendar app, more bother to bookmark web sites, more settings to DISABLE in order to keep battering from running down in a day.... blech!

I feel your frustration with all things "tech".

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home