Friday, April 26, 2013

I've never spread grass seed before but I'm about to do so here in Annie & Meg's dog run, however, I am seeding it with clover.  I'm told that once clover catches, it's pretty hardy and spreads.  Fortunately we have an alternate dog run on the property which Meg was introduced to today.  It's a different shape, about as wide as it is long so the two girls had a great time chasing each other and Meg, who is eleven months old, enjoyed eating her way through whatever she could find that seemed tasty and threw up just before supper...of course, not in her bed but Annie's.  I'm raking the dead grass up (this is last year's picture, nothing is as green as this yet, here.  And it's pretty bare.  The dogs have worn down the grass considerably.  I'm told Kathi's DH is an expert in lawn care.  Do I scuffle the ground up, Kathi, then throw the clover seed down willy/nilly?

Nice surprise this afternoon...Dot from Oregon contacted me.  She is in touch with Bertie and others.  I'm hoping she'll find her way to registering on the board and posting.

Rosey

3 Comments:

At April 26, 2013 at 6:17 PM , Blogger Dot from ORegon said...

Hello, I found my way here. I don't see where it tells me that I can post although I was accepted at one time by Eric. I am all confused...but that is old news.

Thanks for the shout out! I loved seeing some familiar names. Good to see old friends from days gone by.

 
At April 27, 2013 at 8:42 AM , Blogger Kathi in Idaho said...

Rosey, I can't tell you anything about planting clover, since we try to eradicate any that comes up in the lawn. My biggest objection to it is that the flowers attract bees, and that means that I get stung about once a summer when I'm out there barefoot.

As far as planting the grass goes, he roughs up the soil, scatters the seed, then covers it with peat moss and keeps it moist.

Any help?

 
At April 27, 2013 at 1:18 PM , Blogger RoseyP said...

Gosh, Kathi, covering up the whole dog run with peat moss boggles my mind and short attention span. I'll finish raking up the dead grass, etc. and then be Jonnie Appleseed, I guess and hope for the best, I didn't think about the bee aspect. Hmmm....hopefully, because the run is not in full sun, it may not attract the bees as much as it would if it was in the direct sunlight. I don't need my dogs stung by bees. Annie ate a bee last summer and she blew up like a balloon so I know she is reactive to bee stings. If it's not one thing, it's another. You get one problem licked and another presents itself.
Rosey

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home