Thursday, July 19, 2012

Something cool

Awhile ago, I was flapping around about this Inuit outfit that I was trying to make for an exhibit and I did manage to get it finished, photographed and so on, in time to submit the entry. In 1987 a national Canadian magazine asked me to design a quilt depicting the Arctic, which I did. They commissioned the quilt so I did not keep the designs. About three or four years ago, a quiltmaker from Alberta, Canada contacted me to inquire about the pattern, saying that she was completing the quilt her aunt had begun after purchasing the pattern from the magazine. The long and the short of it was, I redesigned the pattern and found myself so interested in the culture and history of the Eskimo/now Inuit people that I continued on, designed another quilt and then, this outfit, called Akulik (long-tailed parka) in honour of the author of the book, Sinews of Survival, by Betty K. Issenman. The exhibit was in her home city and although she is 92 now and wrote the book, I think in her early 80's, she did see the outfit at the exhibit. The sun image is by Kenojuak Ashevak; the image on the back, not seen, is by the late Aoudla Pudlat, both Inuit artists. Boots were made as well. We've been having a heat wave here in Ontario which has been hard on humans, animals, plants and our grass is now yellow and crunchy. We haven't had rain in weeks. Rosey





3 Comments:

At July 20, 2012 at 8:08 AM , Blogger Sara in Florida said...

I'm so impressed. Looks like a lot of work.
The rest of the US us having droughts and heat, we are finally back in our rain pattern of afternoon thunder storms. Good for the grass and water tables, bad when the electric goes off in the afternoon.

sara in fla

 
At July 20, 2012 at 8:08 AM , Blogger Sara in Florida said...

I'm so impressed. Looks like a lot of work.
The rest of the US us having droughts and heat, we are finally back in our rain pattern of afternoon thunder storms. Good for the grass and water tables, bad when the electric goes off in the afternoon.

sara in fla

 
At July 31, 2012 at 2:31 PM , Blogger Sondra Horn said...

Are you doing to put this at the Pacific International Show in October? I didn't see your entry last year and only learned about it reading the booklet. We only attended the show long enough to see the quilts and then I picked up my entry when the show closed that evening. Keep me posted. Sondra

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home