Friday, July 13, 2012

Advice for daughters

Hi- still in south Florida, cleaning out.  My advice to any and all who have pictures of children, parents, etc. is to label the pictures.  I know now people are going to digital storage, but there are 1,000's who have old pictures lying about.  We have thrown away so many because don;t know who they are/where they were taken.  About out of energy/time to do any more.  We have packed up lots of depression glass, and given away pots and pans.  Did find an auction house that we will take some chairs to tomorrow AM.  We have hired someone to come in and have a tag sale in 1 week, we just can;t do everything.
Sara in Fla.

2 Comments:

At July 14, 2012 at 3:05 AM , Blogger Laura in IA said...

Sarah, Been there done that in regards to the photos, though I still have not done the labeling of my own. Heck, there are some baby photos of my own three that confuse me. I try to use the surroundings to help me out and I am sure that ability too will disappear slowly. Good for you recognizing when you need help with the dismantling of the house. Take a breather and come at it again if you have the time to do that. You have had a lot thrown at you all at once. Maybe a step back would help.

 
At July 14, 2012 at 6:05 AM , Blogger RoseyP said...

Sara, dismantling a home in a short period of time is hard enough; when there is a death involved, which I know with your mother is not the case, it's even harder. What I found most difficult with my own mother, as my father had died some twelve years earlier, was a feeling of intrusion into her personal belongings. I had grown up around her china, furniture, the tangible things one does when growing up in a home but it was her clothing, her papers, those things that I considered to be her personal business that was the most painful for me. I found nightgowns and gifts of clothing which she had never used and which were stored, very carefully and neatly, in their original boxes in the bottom drawer of her dresser. As humans, if we have the opportunity to do so, we are generally acquisitive by nature. It worries me that I'm sitting here in a somewhat largish home with all my possessions when I hope that I am given the opportunity of scaling down myself to live more simply in time. But of course, we never think we are vulnerable to death and then it happens and it's too late...someone else will have to deal with what you're dealing with right now, Sara. I'm sure you're very tired at the moment.
Rosey

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home