Monday, July 9, 2012

cleaning out house in South Fla.

I've been off the WWQP a few days, right now I'm at my Mom's old house in Lake Worth, Fla.  We went to a senior affairs attorney this morning and am working on a "Personal Care" contract so that I can sell her house, and the contents.  There are some actual antiques that we need to have appraised and sold, lots of old pictures, newspaper clippings, etc. to go through.  Mom taught 3 year olds for many years, and there are some of her old books still here.  Letters from her grandmother to her, etc.  Lots of things to throw away and decisions to be made.
We are thinking of listing the house with a real estate agent too keep us from having more headaches.  The house is in run-down condition, old kitchen, old bathrooms, and single pane windows.  It does sit on a nice corner lot and is in Palm Beach County so hopefully we can clear some money when all is said and done.
We spent the 4th of July at Jacksonville beach.  Too dang hot to go out in the sun from 9AM to 6PM, but the fireworks were nice.  I did take time to go to one quilt store and bought just enough fabric to make a rail fence quilt for the nephew's wife who is expecting the end of August.  She wanted lavender and aqua, so I found 2 FQ and then 1 yard of mermaid fabric with the colors in it.
We will stay here until Saturday, load up more dishes, pictures, and nick nacks and head back to home.
Sara in Fla.

5 Comments:

At July 9, 2012 at 11:59 AM , Blogger Kathi in Idaho said...

The only thing I would suggest to you, Sara, is as long as your Mom is able, have her tell you who is in the pictures that aren't labeled. When my DH's mother died, we got a whole box of "ancestor" pictures, only about two of which were labeled. I've had absolutely NO success is trying to find out who is who. Some of the pictures date to the mid 1800s.
Kathi

 
At July 10, 2012 at 9:00 AM , Blogger Mary in Oregon said...

I agree with Kathi. I have a lot of old family pictures scanned. Unfortunately, they aren't named. It's sad to know there might be family in these pictures but I have no way of knowing. :-(

I'm thinking of you Sara as you go through all this. It's sure challenging. Hugz to you.

Mary in Oregon

 
At July 10, 2012 at 2:56 PM , Blogger Sara in Florida said...

thanks girls. I did show her some a week ago. Unfortunately her eyesight is poor and so is her memory. She didn't know too much about them. Also finding out that people are not interested in Eastlake Victorian. Sigh. Such pretty things Sara

 
At July 12, 2012 at 2:44 PM , Blogger Doris W. in TN said...

Sara - I do not envy your task of cleaning out and selling your mother's house. I've know several people who have had to do this and it is a major project, especially when the parent has lived in that house a long time. One day at a time, this will be behind you.
(((Hugs)))

 
At July 12, 2012 at 7:45 PM , Blogger Sara in Florida said...

Thanks Kathi, Doris, and Mary. We did take a break this evening and get ice cream and walk to the beach for 15 min. I've never stayed at the Ritz, but it is right next to the beach where my DH grew up and got most of his sunburns.
Sara in Fla.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home