Monday, June 25, 2012

First the good news . . the drought is over.

Always wanting to put a positive spin on things.  It seems that my town made the national news for the flooding.   Yes, there are parts of town that are under 2-5 inches of water over the roads, some people have their yards washed out, and some businesses had to sand bag this morning.  But, hey-this is Florida, at most we are 5 inches above sea leavel.  Our street is OK, the doggies just don't want to go for a walk in the rain, even with their rain slickers.
Now the rest.  My brother did die last week, his funeral was last Friday in So. Fla.  In the last 24 hrs. when we knew the end was near Mom decided on her own that she couldn't make the trip.  I think this was wise.  I'm going to see her in the morning and take her some flowers.  There is a real mess of the will, the house to sell, (and the upkeep until it sells) but I know all will work out.
There was a traditional Christian funeral service at the funeral home, lots of his piano and singing associates were there, and someone played a classical piece.  Since he was born first and sucked up all the musical talent, I have no idea what the piece was.  Graveside was quick, as it was in the new Veterans cemetery there.  All of his children and grand children attended.  It was sweet to see 5 little girls together, and the one wife is pg. with another girl.  (quilt!)
So, we are back home with lots of pictures, an assortment of silver flatware, both Mom's and some of the grandmother.  Whew.  I'm going to watch a mindless movie tonight and go to bed early.
Sara in Soggy Fla.   where the gov. has declared the entire state a "State of Emergency"

5 Comments:

At June 25, 2012 at 7:47 PM , Blogger heather said...

Sara. You have had a trying time with all the ups and downs with your Mom and brother. My condolences on his passing. Take it slow and breathe deep! You need to look after yourself

 
At June 25, 2012 at 7:48 PM , Blogger heather said...

Sara. You have had a trying time with all the ups and downs with your Mom and brother. My condolences on his passing. Take it slow and breathe deep! You need to look after yourself

 
At June 26, 2012 at 6:15 AM , Blogger RoseyP said...

Sara, lots happening in your life but I can see that you've handled it well and the business of the estate is to come. Your mother sounds as though in making choices for herself, she's still able to make them and is present in her mind which must be a help for you and some support in a way. When people die, they take our memories with them. I have an 88 year old aunt visiting with me, the last of my mother's in-laws and together we are sharing memories that are only part of our lives, not my children's lives or my husband's life. It's very special to still have an older relative in our lives. And the drought is finally over down there in Fla.
Rosey

 
At June 26, 2012 at 9:37 PM , Blogger Doris W. in TN said...

Sara - I am very sorry about your brother. ((Hugs))

 
At June 27, 2012 at 7:55 AM , Blogger RoseyP said...

And, Sara, thanks to your weather reporting and my being mindful enough to watch the weather reports coming out of Florida and the Gulf of Mexico where Tropical Storm Debbie is or was sitting stagnating just off the coast...I called my friends in Sarasota whom I have not spoken to in quite some time. It was good to catch up with their news. They said, rain??? Storms?? Well, every fifteen minutes a fresh blast of rain pours down, puddles and problems out on the keys, they are just by the Ringling Bridge, boats are grounded. I feel closer to them knowing that you bring your weather reports here on the board.
Rosey

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home