Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Florence

Now that you had a few days to recuperate from our exciting (LOL) photos, it is time to look at Florence.  This was our favorite city.  Not too small or crowded, not too large,  but juuuust right, as Goldilocks would say.  It is very easy to get around on foot in Florence.

The famous Duomo and Baptistry were amazing.   The Duomo has   a bell tower  with something like 400 steps to the top, and my DH climbed them to the top.

While he was climbing those steps,  I wandered around Florence and window-shopped.   I ran across a Salvatore Ferragamo store which had a special museum/exhibit downstairs, so I paid my €5 and saw lots of really coooool shoes from the inception of Ferragamo's shoe business (ca.  1929)

We made the obligatory tours of The  Accademia and The Uffizi galleries, saw Michaelangelo's 'David' and upstairs in the Uffizi, we were able to look out over the Arno river and catch this shot of the Ponte Vecchio:

As we left the Uffizi, we stumbled upon a Galileo Museum.  It was not devoted 100% to Galileo, but had lots of wonderful artifacts from navigation as well as science in general.   We were all quite taken with this continuum:


4 Comments:

At June 28, 2012 at 2:15 PM , Blogger Mary in Oregon said...

Wonderful pictures! Almost like being there. Thanks for sharing!
Mary in Oregon

 
At June 29, 2012 at 5:04 PM , Blogger Marion in NZ. said...

ummmmmm. I "commented" yesterday and had to type in a jumble of letters and numbers and then my password....Obviously just too much for my small brain to cope with and I must have done something wrong ! Thank you Doris, for reminding me of the beauty of Florence. I spent my 21st birthday money on a visit to Italy and fell in love with Florence...

Marion, (enjoying the memories...)

 
At June 30, 2012 at 4:23 AM , Blogger Fran (Sth Aust) said...

We went to the Uffizi on a Sunday and of course it was closed! DH did buy me some 35th Anniversary earrings from a jeweller's shop (one of many!) on the Ponto Vecchio. Great photos, Doris!

 
At June 30, 2012 at 4:23 AM , Blogger Fran (Sth Aust) said...

We went to the Uffizi on a Sunday and of course it was closed! DH did buy me some 35th Anniversary earrings from a jeweller's shop (one of many!) on the Ponto Vecchio. Great photos, Doris!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home