Sunday, November 21, 2010

You asked for it!

My life is not so much interesting as chaotic! LOL All the usual madness -- trustee for the old lady's estate, obedience classes for the rescued poodles, grandchildren to spend time with, gardens to manage, a 'retired' husband whose idea of fun is to go off to the Prairies for weeks on end seeding and harvesting and building very big barns -- but the big one is the feral cat rescue group that eats up my time.

I have a dozen cats who are citizens here plus 8 long term fosters. But my activities with the rescue group have expanded rather a lot and I spend the equivalent of a full time job doing whatever needs to be done. We have just finished our big annual fundraising event November 13th -- a one day craft fair and then a "spay-ghetti (& no balls) dinner" with live music, silent and live auctions and a very gourmet version of a spaghetti dinner. It was all very successful, but by the time I organized it, did sewing for the craft sale, baking and fudge making for the bake sale, and then a lot of cooking for a fine dinner for almost 100 people I was a Little exhausted!

I promised myself a few days of pure self-indulgence when it was over and all the loose ends tidied up and the money in the bank, but then DH suggested that his niece and her husband and baby should stay here for the weekend. Since the logistics of their visit made that the only reasonable thing to do, I abandoned the fantasy of reading a book in front of a wood fire and shampooed all the carpets and otherwise tried to get rid of the evidence of too many cats and kittens and too little housework in this house for a few months! They have left now and I took all the leftovers from the last few meals and made a big pot of soup, now simmering on the stove and smelling wonderful. I ate the leftover brownie from last night's dessert and am now lazing in front of the computer. The house is very quiet and very clean. Bliss!

I have not been getting much quilting done for a long time and had to miss a Retreat in early November, but I did a ton of sewing for the craft fair -- aprons, decorated tote bags and gift bags. With a few hours of sorting in the sewing room I should be able to go back to sewing things for me. I have a strong desire to finish some of the very long term UFOs I have accumulated. I do actually now have my huge Mile-a-Minute quilt on my bed and taught my quilt group how to make them. There are several interesting ones under construction as a result -- and I am going to gather as many little scraps of cat fabrics as I can and make one to raffle for the rescue next year.

I had decided to treat myself to the new Janome Horizon 7700 last month, but then my van needed a very expensive repair and my washing machine died, so the new machine will have to wait. When we built this house in /98 -99, we put in the best appliances we could find. The only one we still have is the dryer, which has been repaired once. Every other appliance has died a quick and nasty death as close to its tenth birthday as it could manage. And now they tell me the life expectancy of all my new appliances is five years or less. Remember washers and driers and fridges that lasted 20 years? There are some things about our modern economy I am not fond of. Built in obsolescence would be one...

And on that grumpy note, I will carry on with my lazy self-indulgent afternoon. Perhaps a cup of tea. Join me? :)

Hugs to all
Jean

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home