Monday, April 26, 2010

back from Rat Mouth, Florida

a/k/a Boca Raton. Just not so glam when it is translated. LOL This was a small group of people who converged at BR for the weekend, a sort-of business trip for DH.
Much time spent at hotel pool, men and women alike in our group were overwhelmed at the number of women with surgically implanted "flotation devices" to fill out their swimsuits. The number of face-lifts in that town were intimidating (and scary), too.

LOTS of money in BR. Oh my..... no way DH and I could ever afford to live there. It is a beautiful city though, good building codes with very little signage on the streets and lots of landscape screening of stores. You'd need a GPS to find a Target, Walgreens or CVS or grocery store that are hiding behind all the landscaping and lack of signs on the streets. Frustrating for the tourist, but it does make the city pretty.

We were very fortunate with the weather in BR. I spent a wonderful day at a local mall, window-shopping thru their Nordstroms, Saks, Neiman Marcus, and Bloomingdales. (We don't have these stores where I live; Dillards is our 'best' dept. store here). I don't really "shop", but instead just look, and consider it on par with an educational field trip to a museum. Honest. ;o) My only purchase was some nice tee tops on sale at Talbots. WooHoooo!!!

There are no fabric stores in BR, except the type that sell drapery fabrics. It is a sewing wasteland. So sad.... and yet another reason I would not want to live there. (lol)

MOVING ON .... my next project . . . DH and I are finally replacing the carpeting in our house, all of which are 24 years old. It's time. Packing up the sewing room will be a nightmare. I have fabric in four closets of two bedrooms. This will be just like moving house, as it has to be clear for the carpet replacement. Methinks it will be a good time to clear out some old stuff that I don't use, or have never used.

We're also having wall-paper removed, including the string-yarn stuff in the two-story foyer/entry hall, and the walls painted. The string yarn was already here when we bought the house 16 years ago, it is absolutely lovely, but sadly,,, it is dirty and starting to peel at the corners. Time to have it taken down. ~sighs~ And painters will be working in some of the rooms, changing color in our family room, etc. Yep,,, staycation city!

With all these home improvements going on,,,, DH and I have declared this our "stay-cation." No big trips for us, this year. My big trip will be to collect boxes for packing up the sewing stuff. (Aaaaaack!!!!!)

Hugs to everyone,
Doris

2 Comments:

At April 26, 2010 at 4:02 PM , Blogger Jill from Portland said...

When I think of BR I only have this image of the episodes when Jerry Seinfeld's parents moved there!
Oh Man!
So no JoAnn's? (probably no Walmart then either!)

 
At April 28, 2010 at 9:20 AM , Blogger Doris W. in TN said...

Jill - We have JoAnn's here at home, so I didn't bother to look for one in BR. I probably wouldn't find it, anyway, with all the landscape screening and lack of signage.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home