Sunday, September 13, 2009

HELP !!!!

On and off for a week or so I drove by the same beautiful Walker Hound looking thinner and thinner without a collar eating road kill in the road to civilization I drive to get anywhere. Thursday I finally stopped and very cautiously approached him. Most of those dogs have lived their lives chained to a dog house without any socializing at all and chronically underfed. In the fall they hunt for their ungrateful owners for raccoons and bear known locally as coons and bar. I know a couple of bear hunters who do appreciate their animals but that's the exception. Consequently those dogs are extremely shy and cringe if you approach them. Not this guy. He happily wagged his tail and came right up to me. He was quite happy to hop into my car and I figured that he'd been treated well and somebody was missing him. I'm afraid to advertise for the owner because any unscrupulous bar hunter could show up and he'd spend the rest of his life on a four foot chain consuming about half the calories he really needs. He is about the sweetest dog I've ever met.

The problem is that Shadow is freaked out. At this moment they are having a barking contest. Bubba, as I've named him, is outside only because he can't get through the small spaniel dog door and she's guarding her realm inside confident that he can't get near her. I've walked him around the interior of the house a few times on a leash looped around his neck and he has thoroughly sniffed everything I let him get near, good hound that he is. So far he has been living outdoors and hasn't left since the first meal. I bought some healthy dry food and have been giving him two rounded cups twice a day and he's starting to look less emaciated and has lots more energy. He's younger than I first thought because once he had a few meals he became very playful galumphing around the yard and assuming what I call the play posture with the forequarter lowered and the forelegs out stretched. He's very frustrated because Shadow won't play and responds with snarls which actually intimidates him. Actually Shadow was never very playful even as a youngster and she's very insecure when any competition shows up. This big guy would get into your lap if given half a chance and I'm falling in love. There is a friend in the guild who has expressed and interest in him so I hope she will resolve my problem. She has owned many a dog and has told the usual funny dog stories so I know......GUESS WHO JUST TROTTED IN TO GIVE ME A SMOOCH! He's figured out how to slither through the dog door. Anyway I know Mary would appreciate him.

I've had concerns about him marking all over the house but haven't seen that behavior, outside or in. If I still have him here next week he's going to visit the vet for a check up and a bit of snipping. I do have two responsible hound owners asking around but Bubba thinks he's my baby. I'm 72 and I have no business taking on a young dog. Oh woe is me.

Please advise, please

Jane

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home