Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Checking in from sunshiny Sault Ste. Marie

Wow, what a gorgeous day. Just got back from a walk with DD2 and baby Henry. I've been really depressed the past couple of days; this sunshine is fixing that.
Hi Marie. I often think of you and Celia B. Should you happen to see her, please say hi from me.
DH told me the other day that I had done a good job making this house "home". Doesn't feel like it to me yet. I started sorting cupboards last night to make the kitchen more efficient. It's hard because the original cupboards have shelves that are too low to stack canned goods two high. The only shelves which will take my bottle of corn syrup, balsamic vingegar, etc. need a stool to reach. Kitchen reno is in the distant future; in the meantime I keep sorting and resorting. Sorry for the whine.
A question: how long did it take you to settle in to a new place? What helped? What hindered? this relocation has proved so much harder than I anticipated, possible because it had been 30 years since the last one.
hugs to all
Brenda in Nn Ontario

2 Comments:

At September 30, 2009 at 11:00 AM , Blogger heather said...

Brenda...not sure if this is good news or not but for us it took us a good year to feel comfortable in this last move back to TBay.....my sewing room area moved 3 or 4 times and I have rearranged the kitchen several times in an attempt to make it work.....I am now pleased with it and aside from changing a paint colour yet again ....I do find the cupboards not what I would want and some things get stored too high or too low.......In the last 6 years DH and I moved 4 times plus an extra apartment at #1 son's place for a couple of years....... But the biggest thing that makes it home is having our sons nearby and of course the grandsons and the hopeful safe arrival of another next spring.....I could live in a trailer as long as they were nearby I think.......

 
At September 30, 2009 at 3:47 PM , Blogger Sara in Florida said...

It took me a year also. We moved "north" from WPB, Fla. 19 years ago.
The first thing after buying the house (3 months in apt.) was to rip out all the old shag carpet, and put in new. New tile in kitchen and bath, paint.
This was all done before we actually moved in.
To feel like home we needed friends. We were not very active in our church in WPB, so here we jumped in and found friends, and a new circle of people for me. This was the first time I had not worked full time, so that was an adjustment also.
Hang in there! Meet the neighbors, etc.
Sara in Fla.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home