Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Yay! I sure missed this page!

The best lesson I learned from my mother is that I can accomplish anything I want, if I'm willing to put enough effort into it. Other people may do it better than I can, but I can still manage to do it.

My mother is an artist, but she always believed that she could accomplish anything she wanted to do, as long as she could find a book on how to do it. Dad was in the Air Force, and traveled, so if she wanted something done, it was up to her to do it.
She took her art lessons by correspondance while she was raising 3 small children. She upholstered furniture. She built beautiful bookcases and entertainment centers. She tiled floors. She built a screened in back porch and installed new bathroom fixtures for her mother's home. She made curtains and pillows and bedspreads.
She doesn't do any of this anymore except the art, as arthritis makes the physical activity painful. She never quilted or embroidered; her interest was in painting. I learned those crafts from her mother. I'm glad my grandmother lived long enough to see several of my first quilts, and I'm glad my mother has always encouraged me to do my best and to not be afraid to try anything that I am interested in.
Laura

The weather here has been miserable

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home