Thursday, December 25, 2008

Posting for Anna in Spain

Hello from Spain!


Everyone has been pretty quiet on all my Yahoo! groups, but then so have I. I've been doing things here...for one, I finally went to a nutritionist and got a diet I can live with for the thyroid disease. Turns out I have been doing everything pretty much wrong...I need lots of lean protien, low fat, fresh fruit and NO soy or corn, darn little bread. 1 ounce of bread for breakfast! You know what one ounce of bread looks like? About 2 bites! LOL No tofu! No cheese! I think I'm gonna die. Or actually, live. I started the diet in mid September and so far I've lost almost 30 lbs. 3 pounds to go to my goal. He also says, that the weight I had reached before the diet is fine for my age and build. I felt like this was almost a "crash" diet as I lost so much so fast, but a lot was fluid. Apparently 15 lbs of it can be that, in Hashimotos sufferers. He put me on glucomannanan capsules for the cholesterol, which is down nearly 50 points now.

But of course for Christmas Eve and day everything is on hold. We will go to my SIL for the 24th lunch, and then I will cook on the 25th. And then do a sort of "detox" of broth and salad for 2 days!

I was also rather unwell for a bit there...manypaws mostly. I had TTOTM for 21 days straight, so they have drawn some blood for tests and I get the results tomorrow. I don't know how I feel about HRT but maybe my thyroid meds just need adjusting. I hope it's that because I have been so tired lately I can't enjoy anything. For the duration of the "indisposition" I felt like I was half asleep all the time, and was sleeping 10-12 hrs a day.

The other day our local LIDL (like Aldi) was selling Singer sewing machines and I got one! I am so sick of my tiresome Spanish treadle machine (bought new in the 80s) that I decided to take some of my hard-earned tutoring money and buy it. It's a 1120 model. I scored the English instruction book on the Internet, since what I had was in badly translated Spanish, French, German and Dutch. I am printing out the English as I type this. Does anyone have any knowledge of this model? It's pretty basic but will do for what I want. I already put elastic in some favourite jammies and it only took a minute and for the first time in my life I *didn't* get the elastic twisted! A lot of my clothes need taking up now that I've lost the weight!

I am trying to get our church's missionary wife (from Oz) into quilting. So far she has made a potholder, I hope she quilts it over Xmas. Instead of batting I had her line it with 2 layers of heavy wool cloth (like for a topcoat) and quilt it together, to make it more conducive to protecting her hands.

I should post a couple of my soup recipes here. I do a lot of "iron cheffing" (ie making up of recipes based on what I have on hand) and soups are lovely when it's cold and there's no heat in the house. Which it is, and we don't. I'm glad we're not getting y'all's storms, though.

Well I will be quiet for now. Take care all.
anna in spain

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home