Thursday, December 18, 2008

Good news

I am so relieved. I went back to the surgeon today for my six-week checkup, and all is well. The physician's assistant had me move my arm (meaning move it with the other hand!) various ways, and she says I am exactly where I should be. Whew! I was afraid I was behind on my mobility. She also said I don't need the sling anymore and I can now drive again. Yes!! Oh, and I can take Advil again. I wasn't allowed to take that for the first six weeks (supposedly I needed inflammation at first to heal?) and I'd been making due lately with just extra-strength Tylanol. I like Advil much better, so am glad to be able to use that now.

I was also told to slowly start using the arm. She said it will hurt, but I need to start using it some, just not to lift more than five pounds. Ha! I can't lift much of anything right now, the arm is so weak. But she says after some aggressive physical therapy (ugh!) when I come back in seven weeks I should be able to lift that arm on its own over my head. The thought of pretty much having my arm back in seven weeks motivates me to do that nasty PT. Remind me I said that tomorrow while my physical therapist is stretching the arm over my head. Yesterday I told him I felt like I was on the rack--you know, the ancient instrument of torture? I kid you not!

Went to DD's school Christmas concert tonight. The school choir sang and the two different hand bell choirs (one of which DD is in) played. So beautiful. A lovely kick-off for their Christmas vacation, which begins after school tomorrow.

Off to bed with me now. I'm finally starting to sleep a little better too! And to all, a good night!

Jean in VT

2 Comments:

At December 19, 2008 at 9:19 PM , Blogger Mary in Oregon said...

Yahoo, Jean! What fantastic news. Good on you!
Mary in Oregon

 
At December 20, 2008 at 6:39 AM , Blogger Jean in VT said...

Thanks Mary! Now we'll see how I do with these PT exercises. I have a feeling I'm going to be sore all the time again. Sigh. Oh well, all for a good cause. Maybe I'll get nice buff arms out of this! Heck, I'll settle for arms that work!

Jean

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home