Sunday, October 26, 2008

Sunday Morning in the Country

I’d like to address Lavinia’s posting, as she posted a helpful and unbiased website a short while ago on US politics:
L: “Why anyone would watch the garbage such as "W" or movies made by Michael Moore is beyond me”… …I’m certain that most folks know that “W’ was made by Oliver Stone but I have seen one of Michael Moore’s movies and while thought provoking and evidence of the freedom of speech in our democratic country, his interview with Charlton Heston still uncomfortably remains with me.

L: “It is too bad FOX News is banned in Canada. Too bad you have censorship in Canada” … …well, we all may have censorship in our country’s media, that’s not something any of us really know but I can say this: my husband watches FOX all the time and we live in the countryside of Canada, without cable, without satellite and still we get FOX.

Just thought I’d like to clear up those misconceptions. It is good to feel passionate about something and I can see clearly that the upcoming elections are on everyone’s minds, including Canadians for we are all part of North America. Whoever is elected in the US as President, affects Canada and the whole world for that matter.

To mention Kitty Kelly’s book on the Bush family may be inappropriate at this time, given Lavinia’s posting, but I did read it some time ago, knowing that the author picks controversial subjects and that her focus is one of exposure. I felt the book was reasonably unbiased, well researched and documented and left the reader to make up one’s own mind about her subject matter. I felt that it was neither fair nor unfair.

Still, the movie “W” is worth seeing for the acting of Josh Brolin alone.

Leaving the Chat Board over political comments is a personal choice. If you enjoy the board, Lavinia, you can scroll past any postings from people (and myself) whom you do not wish to read or connect with but it’s a shame to have enjoyed the cyber company of this forum for so long and not continue because of one issue. Deomcracy and free speech in the western world is what our forefathers have fought for; independence of thought and speech, of political and religious beliefs. But a world without passion and differing ideals would be a dull world, indeed whether you are a quiltmaker or not.

RoseyP

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home