Saturday, October 25, 2008

Saturday afternoon in the Northern Hemisphere

Marion, it's still hard to hear that you are just coming into your summer as we are heading into our winter.....still some colourful trees around, the grass is still green, not brown, there are still raccoons out visiting birdfeeding stations and ripping them apart; I can still walk out to the garbage box in the outer garage without a coat or boots on...small blessings when I know what is coming. I read somewhere that winter is like having sex after 70...brace yourself Flossie, here it comes again.

And with November coming up, interest is running high in Canada on the US elections. I'm wondering if people are looking more at who they are voting in as Vice-President, rather than President this time. McCain is older and may be a heart attack waiting to happen, who knows. And Obama... is some crazy white-hooded hoodlum waiting to make a name for himself in the anals of history by knocking off the first President of colour? That leaves Biden and Sara P. Can you picture either of these people as President of the United States? I'm sure that there are many who may not vote and many who will feel conflicted in voting for their chosen party. Me, I voted for the Green Party here in Canada recently. I couldn't support our current PM, Stephen Harper, the control freak and while the Liberal leader may be one of the most honest politicians we've had, I couldn't see him on the International front. I am for the environment and the Green Party made strides in the election here in Canada, so the Green Party it was.

Just had a wonderful visit today with a longtime friend and her husband, from teacher's college days. I still remember doing my practice teaching in her one-room school house near her farm. I stayed at her working farm, with cows, pigs, chickens, etc. At night, we'd do our lesson plans in the big old farm kitchen. When I heard the first snap, my friend kept on writing without batting an eyelash...me, I wanted to know what that noise was. A mousetrap going off in her mother's cupboards, she said. Pies were stored in there for the next day. The next step in our silliness is one you'll maybe run me off the board for. We tied the dead mice on a string to the outside doorknob for the hired man to find first thing in the morning. And now, how many years later.....fifty years later...we still dissolved into fits of giggling. We don't see each other often, she winters in Oklahoma, summers up in cottage country...but it's like fifty years didn't happen everytime we meet. Endorphins are good.

RoseyP

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home