Friday, October 17, 2008

HAPPY MEAL INDEED

Sara, I'm sure you have dealt with that guy or his cousin and I know that I must have met him along the way in my career. One of my colleagues' clients escaped while being transported and made his way to Miami without incident. Having accomplished that he managed to attract the attention of the constabulary and was arrested for something stupid. When asked for his name he thought he'd outsmart them and used my colleague's name. Of course my colleague probably will have a rap sheet forever listing the arrest. What's wrong with John Smith as an alias?

Clouds here for two days as I awaited the sorely needed rainfall that was predicted and no more than a drop or two fell. More wells are going dry hereabouts and local governments are having frantic meetings. In the meantime developers are still trying to create large subdivisions, many for the higher classes who need a "gated community" on quarter to one acre lots. Just where is the water to come from? It's not infinite. Even when the drought breaks the water table is down about a foot, possibly more, and who knows how long this will go on?

I find the notion of the gated communities highly offensive and the descendants of the folks who settled this area and who are still within the barest of majorities here can read the message quite clearly. "I'm educated, wealthy and therefore better than you. I want no association with you and even have a certain fear or loathing of you." While I'm not part of the local culture I have met and come to love some wonderful people who are of that background and many of the elements of the local culture are what attracted Al and me to this area. I have never felt so much a part of and felt the warmth of my neighbors before in my life.

Past my bed time so night, night ladies,
Jane

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home