Monday, September 15, 2008

It wasn't 10 years ago

Sorry to say that the chemo my Mom and Dad did was not 10 years ago. Mom's was in 2000 and Dad's was just before he died in April 2007.
Sandi, I sent a contact form to you from your website. (from Ronna Iguana of course! ;) )
I have to do some reading on the BRCA mutations. Lisa may have one and now she is trying to decide whether or not to get tested below the radar or not. She will definitely get tested... but is not sure how much protection from insurance discrimination Dana, my niece, will have if Lisa tests positive.
Thanks for the offer to talk to me and my sister, Kathi. Lisa has decided not to do reconstruction. Neither she nor her husband has a problem with that. She feels that she will be able to detect any recurrence easier without construction and that gives her some piece of mind. Well, that is what it is all about--piece of mind for each person who experiences this.
Along with this major problem, she is in the midst of a kitchen remodel. They demolished the kitchen.... and then when they were replacing one of the support posts of the house (land drops off and back of kitchen is on second floor level) they realized that it had deteriorated much more than they thought along with the retaining wall that keeps their land out of their neighbor's yard. Soooo....being California, it was time for a soil study and then the engineer's plan, inspector's approval, etc. She STILL has no kitchen after more than a month. They have to put in new supports and there is no way to get machinery back into her side yard. They have to do all of the digging by hand.
Her DH would be fine with eating out every night, but Lisa knows that the kids don't eat right when they eat out and wants to eat in. They have a make-shift kitchen set up, but they have no sink! So they have to do dishes in the bathroom sink and that makes her DH whine because he usually does the dinner dishes (she does the rest + all of the cooking).
When I did my kitchen remodel (which came out really nice!) the contractor rigged up a temporary sink. I was without a sink for only one night and without a stove (gas) for one night. Both because they couldn't get the plumber to come due to it being the beginning of the heating season and people finding out that their heat didn't work! Anyway, my contractor was really good about keeping a working kitchen. I didn't have a problem with the temporary countertops... plywood was fine. I just covered it with contact paper so it was easier to clean. When I go out to visit, I'll try and find out why her contractor can't rig up a temporary sink. Or I will figure out how to make something work.
Ah well... just babbling at this point! Good night all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home