Thursday, March 6, 2008

Great Photo, Mainequilter

I had noticed Jean of Mill Bay mentioning something about flowers, was it? Good weather? Reports of other signs of spring here and there? Jean in Vt., a short trip to Fla. would be good about now, but when talking to my friend Joan, in Sarasota, who runs a family drop-in centre for winter runaways, there is no room at the inn...so to speak. Their families will descend soon from further north to ease the winter blahs. And so, we face yet another storm coming in later today, a prelude from the storm coming our way from Texas and while those of you south of Canada may wish to blame the cold Arctic air for your troubles in winter, most if not all of our storms come up through the US mid-west and seek Ontario like a magnet, especially this year. This week-end, B&B guests have cancelled, scared off by the weather report, and I will be hunkering down yet again, with my quilting, ready to face whatever Mother Nature decides to share with us. Snow removal is getting costly. Our laneway yesterday was yet again, snowed in and thankfully, we have found someone to come in with his snowblower, which Jock greatly admires and which cost the gentleman $50,000.00...a Kabota (sp?) with great tyres on the back end...men like those things. Last week-end provided a great treasure, however, in the form of an Eastern Screech Owl who sat outside my studio window for the day observing my bird feeding station where silence reigned. How do birds know when a predator is among them? They disappeared completely; only one lone sparrow showed up and thankfully escaped the owl. Such a beautiful bird. But it is the photo of the wood pile that is such a gem, Mainequilter...now THAT I can relate to. One thing I've learned though, if you have a choice, never place your woodpile beneath the boughs of a pine tree. I've been dealing with pine needles in the house all winter...a poor choice of location, chosen by me, last autumn....lesson learned.

I am so grateful to have my quilting to help pass winter by. In fact, I look forward to not having to go out when I have something as enjoyable as making a quilt on my table.

Muffin Lady (Grace, you will find more snow here but you know where our laneway is and we can clear a spot for Precious' tiny legs)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home