Sunday, April 29, 2007

UGH WEIGH IN

Obviously, Jean, you are doing or not doing something different from me. The first guess is that you have definitely reduced your caloric intake while increasing caloric outgo. I'm up a half pound this week after standing pat for several weeks. I have begun to get more exercise. Local strawberry season is here and none the worse for wear from the freeze of several weeks ago. I'm working my way though a gallon basket right now. I did share berries with two neighbors however. They are so sweet there is no temptation to embellish them. They are going on cereal, snacked one at a time by hand as I walk by and mixed with fat free, sugar free yogurt as a super treat. I don't like to refrigerate them if I can avoid it but since Friday they've begun to soften up so I'll have to resort to that after this morning's Ralston.

Having a quiet weekend. There was a big spring festival in town and the home extension quilt group was down there. A fair number of their members belong to my guild in Franklin and they'd urged those of us in this county to join them in a demo. I was going to go and just decided to hang out at home. I spend so much time running hither and yon that sometimes I need to take the time to hang out here with Shadow and work on home projects. I'm almost caught up on my guild mystery quilt. In the meantime the boys' rag quilts have been collecting dust so I need to lay out the pieces and start putting them together. Hope to start that process today.

Since I turned 70 last month I've decided that henceforth I will do what I feel like doing, not what I think I should do. I will not be the boss or chair of anything. My problem is that there are not enough wakeful hours in the day nor enough years left in my life to be doing things I don't feel like doing. That doesn't include the exercise and food control thing. That's for me. I've met my obligations to the community and it's time for someone else to be obligated. Doesn't mean I won't make kid quilts for Head Start but only when I feel like it. So there. I said it and I'm glad.

Going to a neighbor's 83rd birthday bash this evening. The hosts (his DD DSIL) insist on no gifts so I've gotten a silly card. Have you guys looked for a funny card that doesn't refer to drinking too much, sex or um breaking wind? The humor level is consistently junior high level. I had to read about thirty cards at the local CVS store before I found one that wasn't all hearts and flowers or vulgar in the extreme. Next time I go somewhere else for a card.

Lavinia, it looks as though you are living with the same clay packed iron laden soil I have. The flower is lovely. I've never seen one. I tend to depend on mother nature to provide me with wildflowers. I just wish I had a decent lawn. After two plantings I still have large areas in the yard that are populated with the same ratty collection of weeds that were here two years ago. I've had it seeded twice and where it took it is gorgeous and thick. The rest of it looks like an over grazed pasture.

Gorgeous day here and I need to get moving and take a walk with Shadow while it's still cool.

Jane in NC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home