Friday, February 23, 2007

Hitting critical mass again...in the studio

The culprit, as usual, is paper. Bills paid, invoices unfiled. Paper pattern for this commission quilt stretched out across one desk, papers stacked around the computer on the other and the third surface is reasonably organized with one sewing machine, lamps, fabric and some bare space. It's the bare space that looks good. I've forwarded several birds to Celia, when she has time she might post one or two. They are from a design of mine that appeared on the cover of the CQA magazine a year ago and when a gentleman from Toronto saw the cover photo, said that this was all he wanted for his 50th birthday in July of this year. The pattern was purchased and his niece said: I don't quilt, can you suggest someone to make it up. It's too involved and no-one was interested...the long and the short of it is by this time I was becoming rather possessive of the whole idea and not wanting someone who didn't have a feeling for the design make it up, agreed, if I could find others to work with me, to make it up myself. My hands have not improved much from the chemical exposure seven years ago thus the other quilters have made up the birds, I take no credit for them other than having drawn them. Their choices of fabrics, their superb sewing techniques, all make this quilt come alive. I'm doing all the borders and leaves. It's a huge effort and one that will take until the end of March at least to complete. It's to go into frames in April and be presented in July. Best of all, it's for this gentleman's bed so it will be used and appreciated for what it is...a quilt. Meanwhile, it's winter here and its no hardship getting together for a day's sewing and homemade soup with freshly baked bread.

It's nice to see you posting here Judy and I see that TerTer has managed to find her way to the other board, hopefully to make her way over here soon.

Rosey

3 Comments:

At February 23, 2007 at 10:39 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

Dear, dear Rosey, I need to post something feline here once in a while to keep you dog lovers from thinking you rule the roost. (Or have I just mixed my metaphors? LOL)

Judy

 
At February 24, 2007 at 11:01 AM , Blogger Lightning57~ Sandra from SC said...

Rosey, I haven't seen your original quilt (that was on the magazine cover)maybe you could post a picture of it. The birds themselves are beautiful. The fabrics make them so life like. It will one beautiful quilt when finished. What will the dimensions be, how many different birds, etc.in the top?
Sandra from SC 2/23/07

 
At February 25, 2007 at 5:28 PM , Blogger Bertie in Illinois said...

Rosey, I love the birds! Your quilt is absolutely amazing, I'll bet. I would love to see a picture of it also. The individual birds are just so pretty. Love the fabrics!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home