Thursday, February 19, 2015

A corner of the garden..

Just incase some of you have forgotten what  green grass looks like !!  You can see at the top of the right hand side of the picture , the colour our lawn would be if we didn't water it constantly.   Beyond that you can see part of an irrigated paddock.  It's very dry here, I'm just pleased that we are no longer farming and have to watch the crops and the stock suffer.

We have been away for a few days , catching up with some good old friends, and enjoying a change of scenery. Two of them were not in good health , which was sad to see, it's easier not to notice when you see people regularly, quite a shock when you miss a few months..

I should be out in the garden but have decided to stay in to watch the NZ/ UK  cricket game on TV !!! The Cricket World Cup is on here at the moment .  I'm quite sure that this will be of no interest whatsoever to most of my BB friends but , for me, a long time NZ cricket fan, it's all good .  Our team has been miserably disappointing for most of the years that I have supported it , but they seem to be hitting good form at just the right time which Is find very encouraging !  Go New Zealand !!

Enjoy the weekend, keep warm and safe ,

Marion .







A

2 Comments:

At February 20, 2015 at 6:09 AM , Blogger RoseyP said...

Ah, Marion, we are starved for green. Yet, there is a certain beauty in the colours of winter still. Late yesterday afternoon, I looked out at my birdfeeder. There on the ground was a brilliant red cardinal male and a strikingly beautiful blue Eastern Blue Jay, side by side. Most often the Blue Jay's won't tolerate competition. The other day, two young deer were feeding beneath the bird feeder, they must be having trouble finding food now. Different climates, different lives, different visual images we come to expect. On Wed. I drove into Toronto, Mississauga, actually, which used to be a suburb of Toronto and is now a sprawling city in itself. I met another harsh visual reality that I am so unused to seeing, enormously tall apartment buildings, two, which they refer to as Marilyn Monroes...they are an architectural feat of curvilinear design, yet, I felt such oppression driving past them that I felt actual distaste for what I saw and could hardly wait to drive back home, after the funeral visitation, to the quiet, open spaces of the countryside. My visual space is hugely important to me. I think it is to most people. It does things to our minds, good or bad, it's what we see that I think can either make us happy or not. Huge transport trucks, traffic, so many people, it was an assault to my senses that I was completely unprepared for but having lived now in the country for 27 years, my visual space is so much different now. So thank you for the lovely green, Marion, we are still, as Jon Katz has recently noted on his blog, into a frozen Russian winter.
Rosey

 
At February 20, 2015 at 3:10 PM , Blogger Marion in NZ. said...

Rosey, you certainly live on a lovely property and get some amazing glimpses of the local "wild life" The birds must have been a welcome splash of colour and the deer , against the white of the snow, would have looked beautiful. I can certainly understand your feelings when driving to, and being in, the city environs... I feel just the same when I am in a built up area and can't wait to get home again.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home