Thursday, February 27, 2014

Thank you..

to the ladies who have posted lately, and for the colourful photos.  Difficult days here with a very sick friend in hospital . She had a severe stroke, three weeks ago and is paralysed down the right side, cannot swallow or speak. Makes me grateful for every step I take and every word I speak.  A nice diversion to come onto this page and read the posts and enjoy the photos.

The weather in the Northern Henisphere sounds very challenging , and still more to come I hear.. Oh dear. No wonder you have time to finish quilts and take photos... . What a good idea,sending the DH away... wonder if my DH would fall for that one...

Great news from Bee.  What a happy solution, living in a self contained cottage on the same property as a dear son.  No such solution likely here.  We really should make a move  (we will both be 75 by the end of the year) but are reluctant to do so.. It's getting costly to stay and harder to keep the property up to scratch ,but we do so appreciate country living, and will find it very hard to have near neighbours.  It wouldn't be a place that either of us would want to live if we were on our own, so better to move while there are two of us...  Having a friend struck down so suddenly, three weeks ago, has made us rethink the situation.

Off to the city later, to visit the hospital and also pop into a Garden Show which will be colourful and interesting.. We haven't had a wonderful summer, the sun is out today but rain is forecast.Hope it stays away while we are at the Garden Show (equal to the Chelsey Show, according to the experts !)  I will take my camera and I may be able to post some photos later... don't hold your breath....!

Marion.

4 Comments:

At February 28, 2014 at 3:18 AM , Blogger Laura in IA said...

So sorry to hear about your friend Marion. I do understand about the difficulties of relocating. I never realized how resistant to change both DH and I are. I always thought I was more open and adventurous. Our biggest challenge would be the sorting of all our possessions to what we really need/want in order to make a move.

As far as moving where neighbors are near, unless you are meaning an apartment type arrangement, I don't think you would find having near neighbors so bothersome. People seem to keep to themselves in town. Maybe more so than in the country. We live in a community of about 25000 and I find it that way. DH loves the interactions with people and as the previous High School Principal finds he knows and interacts with many in the community. We're both happy with that. I think I would love Bee's type arrangement but wonder if the kids would feel slighted if we chose one over the others. Maybe they each could have a cottage out back. We have one daughter in the warm SW and the other two in Minnesota and Wisconsin. All are great places and families to visit with in different seasons. Oh, then there is my DF who has relocated to Santa Fe NM who would love for us to move there.

I wish I could offer more tips but I just don't seem to be able to find the answers even for myself. I can quilt anywhere. Yay.

 
At February 28, 2014 at 5:38 AM , Blogger Marion in NZ. said...

Thank you Laura, I know I don't have the relocation problem on my own ! Our two girls live away from here, we love visiting both of them but wouldn't want to trade a lifetime of friends to move near them. We quilters are lucky with our transportable and time consuming hobby ! I'm at the stage of thinking that a smaller house and property means more time for quilting and that can't be bad !

 
At February 28, 2014 at 3:00 PM , Blogger Bee said...

My choice was easy only one cottage! I never thought I would live with one of mine but something had to be done, every time I turned around I could see problems and they would only get worse.I am vey lucky, again, one of my quilty friends lives near and will take me to Guild. Don't leave it too long Marion, better to be with your husband than moving without him. I wish I could have done it when Harry was still here,we were such good friends and would have enjoyed the cottage together.

 
At February 28, 2014 at 4:58 PM , Blogger RoseyP said...

I'll weigh in on this one too. I guess a cottage on family property would likely suit me best if the property was large enough to put in a dog run for my Aussie-dogs. I've wondered too, how I would ever cope with neighbours. In the city, I lived on nearly an acre of land with a ravine in the back...no-one looking down my backside. I spent two years living in the downtown area of a small very chic and upscale town That was an experience I didn't mind but truthfully, I was not used to street lights and they bugged me shining into my bedroom window because on the one acre of land, we had a street without streetlights, which we were most thankful for. And now, in the country, the moon is our streetlight and it lights up the country in a soft and gentle way. When we have snow, I can get up in the morning and see bunny tracks, deer hoof marks, I'm near enough to our next door neighbours (the wife is retired and wants to move and downsize so they can spend two months in Fla. every winter) yet far enough back from the gravel road to feel as though nothing else is around except wildlife. No noise, peaceful (though not always with the occupants..!!)...I've had 49 years of not having close neighbours. I honestly don't know how I would cope. To downsize would require a dumpster outside to relieve DH of all his 'worldly' possessions. I'm not sure I could live with him in close quarters, even. On the other hand, I'm lucky, so far, that I could have a choice. But I'm on the downslope of life and I don't know what the good Lord has in store for me any more than any of us do. Much to think about.
Rosey

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home