Saturday, February 22, 2014

Heather/Weather

I googled the quilt pattern Heather mentioned. It is a great pattern and to imagine it was designed by "one of our own". I love anything involving maple leaves but have only done one to date. One of my very first quilts and still my favorite I think.

I hate to even mention the weather. In one week it has gone from a "normal" 4 inch (after 6 total inches during the previous week) snowfall Saturday to another 4" Sunday/Monday. Then we had 3 glorious days of 40 to 50 degree thawing but ending the week in a messy rain, sleet, snow blizzard Thursday and thawing again on Friday and Saturday! Next week is forecast with another snow and temperatures way below normal. I can think of nothing good to say about this winter, just brrrrrr.

I am hard at work trying to make a wedding quilt for a March 15 wedding. It is looking good to be finished on time but I'm not stressing if it arrives late. During Olympic viewing I have been putting stitches in a reworked 1930s Dresden plate quilt. It is a relaxing endeavor in the works for over a dozen years. I figure if the original quilter left it in pieces for over 60 years I am not doing half bad. I will attempt to post the Dresden plate which is pictured with a huge meander basting by my long arm quilter. I have finished quilting the plates and am now adding cross hatching in the background.

2 Comments:

At February 22, 2014 at 6:47 AM , Blogger RoseyP said...

Laura, there is something about the old traditional quilt patterns that none of the non-traditional 'art' quilt patterns can beat. There is a visual comfort to a traditional quilt that the non-traditional quilts don't have. These newer types of designwork are beautiful often, interesting often but they require more in the way of visual concentration that the old patterns never do. I love your quilt.
And it's hard to believe that Alabama has weather similar to Canada here but apparently you face many of the same challenges we do here.
Rosey

 
At February 23, 2014 at 5:20 PM , Blogger Doris W. in TN said...

Beautiful quilt, Laura!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home