Tuesday, December 10, 2013

I'm afraid to put a title on this post because when I tried, I couldn't get my mouse back to be able to write something here...mouse, cursor, whatever.
This is sometimes my view from my studio window...my title should be:  it's winter here.
We're in the deep freeze here.  More snow to come but I love winter aside from the icy road conditions so I'm not complaining.
Today, the dogs got groomed at my groomer's home some half hour north of here.  The land around here is part of the Niagara Escarpment and it begins at Niagara Falls, Ontario and threads its way through southern Ontario and through our area here.  So driving north, I'm gradually climbing, imperceptably, up the escarpment.  And where it becomes most noticable is when it's winter and the snow storms hit...they always hit at a little town to the north of me here, called Shelburne and at a place called Primrose, which is nothing more that a stoplight, gas station , diner, etc...and sometimes, the snow is so thick you can't see across the road there.  Fortunately, today wasn't too bad, visibility reasonably good except for blowing snow. 
When I got back, Meg, the younger Aussie, pulled me onto the side porch and I tripped and fell.  Later, peeling mushrooms for sauteing, I sliced my thumb, after supper I hit my head on the corner of the cupboard door which was open.  I have said a bad word each time and now will head to bed early before I can do any more damage to my clumsy body.
The deer are plentiful, we see one to four every day running through our property here.  I love seeing them; I hope they are leaving their ticks at home.
Rosey

5 Comments:

At December 11, 2013 at 6:37 PM , Blogger Fran (Sth Aust) said...

Love the photo, Rosey, and I can imagine from where the photo was taken now! I would love to spend a couple of days (only!) in that sort of environment, but haven't managed yet. It might have to be in our little snowfields over here now, I think.......
Shannon says 'Hi' to you both. He is in San Francisco at the moment for a week-long weather conference. Happy Christmas and New Year to you both, Fran and Graham

 
At December 11, 2013 at 8:31 PM , Blogger RoseyP said...

Thank you Fran and a most welcome gift from Shannon to be remembered. We put him to work on the woodpile and having his first Canadian Thanksgiving turkey. It is a very peaceful place in which we live...although I must say, the occupants are not always peaceful...(smile)...Best to you and Graham as well...we had Australian lamb last week-end at the Inn up in the valley where we all had lunch that day. There is a difference between Australian lamb and New Zealand lamb. It was a treat...our anniversary...neither of us can believe we've made it through 26 years together...
Rosey

 
At December 12, 2013 at 8:55 AM , Blogger Doris W. in TN said...

What a lovely, peaceful photo, Rosey! Thank you for posting it.

We woke up to 17°F here this morning, and the snow is still on our deck since Monday, all one-half inch of it. It is warmer in Stockholm right now! DH and I go to airport and begin our trip later this morning. Hopefully, I'll have time to check out the Gudrun S shops for you. I have to bring some small gifts back for my son & sisters and have little time to shop. Ack.

 
At December 16, 2013 at 3:37 PM , Blogger Sara in Florida said...

Beautiful picture. You and my DD have snow, since she is close to the Canadian border I call it "Canada south".
It was 36 when I woke up here this mornng, cold for No. Fla. Got out the extra quilts, but the smell musty, trying to fluff in dryer on "Air".
DD and family are used to driving 1 hr. or more to get anywhere, I think that more than 15 min. is a long way.
We still have piles of leaves all over yard, since yard man isn't coming but every other week. Windy and stormy for 2 days, but sun out now. Dark at 5:30 PM.
Eye is doing better. See Eye Dr. on Jan 6th. for next follow up.
Sara in Fla.

 
At December 16, 2013 at 3:44 PM , Blogger Sara in Florida said...

Beautiful picture. You and my DD have snow, since she is close to the Canadian border I call it "Canada south".
It was 36 when I woke up here this mornng, cold for No. Fla. Got out the extra quilts, but the smell musty, trying to fluff in dryer on "Air".
DD and family are used to driving 1 hr. or more to get anywhere, I think that more than 15 min. is a long way.
We still have piles of leaves all over yard, since yard man isn't coming but every other week. Windy and stormy for 2 days, but sun out now. Dark at 5:30 PM.
Eye is doing better. See Eye Dr. on Jan 6th. for next follow up.
Sara in Fla.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home