Thursday, November 7, 2013

from Mary Jo

We are cold here in Idaho. Weather changed in two weeks from 70s to 50s with heavy frosts. There's lots of cloud cover and a bit of fog with snow threatened. Since we are usually south by now, we are really cold! Went out this week for new winter coats, gloves and scarves. We plan to drive to AZ in January to put that house on the market. Am letting furniture, dishes, linens...go with. Much easier that way. Will bring home the two new chairs and Christmas. Took care of 3/4 of the quilt room last spring. Can mail anything else that doesn't fit in the van. Health is the reason for the above change. It is frightening to drive 2 of the 3 days in very rural areas where emergency help would take a long time should John need it. He is fading but doing ok for 88. I had radiation in June, a hip replaced in July, pancreatitis in August and September, surgery to correct that in October and am recovering! $10,000 worth of dental work resulted from last years radiation. Radiation causes the same kind of damage as meth. My doctor said to stay away from surgeons and take 3 months to get well. Am planning to follow his advice very carefully. Did no quilting or gardening over the summer, planted and let it go. Without hand watering, things did not flourish. DD was an amazing help, coming for extended stays 3x. Gardening is not her thing. DH still raves at how much she can accomplish; she is a wonder. And, I am very thankful for her. Am focused on finishing UFOs that can become Christmas gifts. They range from needing borders and quilting to only needing a label or binding. It is fun to whip thru the stack. I counted 50 stored upstairs plus a dozen in use downstairs. Decided it was time to give more. I've been looking for coral and found it in a poppy print for a spring project. That will become the border of a long, skinny quilt for the end of the guest room bed. The poppies have gray stems and some gray writing on white background. A coral and 3 grays will become wild geese for the body of the quilt. It will be mostly white with a little coral and more gray. This is the first time I've bought everything needed to make a quilt. Fun. Spent today shopping for two little girls (5 - 6 years) for Christmas. Our church adopts 2000+ children in four local schools with the highest poverty. Each box contains sox, mittens, hats, toothbrush, toothpaste and school supplies. We add candies, toys and such to that to fill a boot box. I'm thinking undies might be nice. The poorest kids seem to lack there. Maybe a McDonald's gift card, too. My grands are teens and older so this is fun. Wishing you warm weather, or warmer than here. Blessings, MaryJo

5 Comments:

At November 7, 2013 at 6:11 PM , Blogger RoseyP said...

Mary Jo, I'm happy to intervene in your posting process and understand, we all grow older and can't do what we did before or it isn't sensible to do what we did before. Undies, yes. In fact, I just bought myself some new undies today after how many years...I can't count. I'm getting embarassed at having them see the light of day with my massage therapist...lol.
Rosey in Guess what...snowy Ontario, Canada...well, just snow flakes...nothing to brag about yet.

 
At November 8, 2013 at 4:43 AM , Blogger Lavinia said...

Wow, you have been through the wringer, MJ. Hope you get to feeling better soon! Sorry I did not get to meet you down here, never did make the connection of where you live when here! We thought about moving back to TN, but are better off here (I simply don't care for the desert Southwest). Weather is optimum here at the moment. Hugs! Lavinia in Peoria, AZ

 
At November 8, 2013 at 4:43 AM , Blogger Lavinia said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At November 9, 2013 at 4:15 PM , Blogger Sara in Florida said...

Oh, MJ you really have been through the wringer. I'm sure Arizona is wonderful in the wintertime, sort of like the snowbirds that go to south Fla. from Nov. - April. Did you have radiation in the mouth area? I am confused as to how Radiation causes that type of damage to the teeth. Since I just had Proton Beam Radiation on eye, anything with that word in it gets my attention.
Drive carefully.
Sara in Fla.

 
At November 9, 2013 at 8:53 PM , Blogger MJ said...

Thanks for your good thoughts. Sara, my radiation was pill form. A very high dosage last year and much lower this year. I have to dispose of my mouthguard and toothbrush after. Also am in isolation for 48 hours, then close off the room I used for another week. My cancer is thyroid so I'd guess the radiation does more damage from the neck up... Lavinia, we live in Tucson - or did. I'm not a big desert fan either but it beats the snow. If DH is able, we may fly down for a few months next winter. Right now, I'm wondering how smart it would be to pull a small trailer home. Have never tried that before but we have an almost new washer and dryer while these are 25 years old. I'd love to bring an antique chest home and a few other things. Hmmm... Rosey, thank you again for posting for me. I'm wondering how to let the little girls know they should not open their undies in the class room? When I divorced near my 35th birthday, a good friend took me shopping. She said it was time to go for some pretty things in color, not plain white. Now whenever I buy new things, I think of Vicci and my first red and black ensembles. '>)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home