Saturday, November 9, 2013

Sat. afternoon checking in at beach

Thought you would be interested to know my Proton Radiation treatments finished yesterday.  Had a little "meltdown" -- emotionally, not the machine, about 1/2 way through.  They had a nurse give me an Ativan to calm me down , wait 20 min. for it to work, and then we were able to finish.  
I was trying to push down on the foot rest to help me sit up straighter, then my thighs started shaking and I couldn't control it.    We missed the phone call from the Mayo Clinic Dr. as DH was pumping gas at the time, so will call him on Monday to make the follow up appt. for a "results talk"    The eye is still red and irritated, but I'm doing  artificial tears  ointment  given me by the Proton Dr.
He must be excellent, because at the end of January he is going to Switzerland to run --or at least work at-- their Proton Beam center.  At first I thought he was just going for a seminar, but he said no, he was going to stay, and was concerned about his bald head being cold.
So,  quilt wise I spent 3 hrs. this morning with the guild ladies working on red, white, and blue quilt tops.  I took a panel that I bought and asked for ideas.   I was just going to surround it with 2 and 1/2 strips, but someone there suggested  8 in. squares, then a strip or 2 then more squares to make it larger.   I bought the panel at our shop hop back in January, had lots of the right colors, and thought I want to be an active quilter in society, not a hoarder of fabric. There are 100 Navy men & women returning Dec. 6th to the local Navy place, and so far there are only 55 or so quilts.  Our guild president is married to a retired Navy Psychologist and the local guilds have been asked to step in and help.   I doubt that mine will be done in time, but can still give it to QOV at some time.
I didn't realize how emotionally traumatic these treatments were going to be.  Whew!  Turned 65 in the middle of everything and didn't feel like celebrating anything, just napping on the couch with dogs.  So, 2 couple are taking us out for shrimp dinner tonight at a beachy place for a delayed Birthday celebration.
Sara in Florida


At November 10, 2013 at 7:47 AM , Blogger MJ said...

My radiation was in pill form aiming for thyroid cancer. I had to eliminate my toothbrush and mouth guard after as well as eat from disposable dishes/flatware. Could only microwave and not cook. Was in isolation and then the room I used was closed for a week. The second round was minimal but still had the same requirements. Know this kind of radiation is especially harmful to the teeth. Hope you are doing much better. MaryJo

At November 11, 2013 at 9:08 PM , Blogger MJ said...

Sara, My radiation is by pill and concentrates in the thyroid area. I have to toss my mouth guard and toothbrush after a week's isolation. Then shut off the room used for another week. Am not allowed to cook, to use regular dishes or to be around small people or animals. My friend has breast cancer and has the same problem with decay at the gum line from regular radiation....


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home